Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old 05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Gina, another way to improve that red channel: copy it and then run Noise/Median on the copy (with a high enough setting to blur out all the scratches/spots etc- say, a value of between 10 and 15). Now go to your channels pallette. Make sure you are on your image layer and not on an adjustment layer and select your original red channel. Then go to Image/apply image and set the "red-copy' as your source. Set the blend mode to darken and leave the rest as it is. Watch those light spots disappear. The beauty about this is that it only affects the light pixels and the dark pixels remain unchanged. You won't notice any significant blurring of the image. Sorry I don't have time to post any pictures but will post later if you need any clarification. Get rid of that yellow spot on her arm by using a Selective Color Adjustment Layer. Choose yellows and then remove as much of the yellow in Yellows as it takes to clear the spot. Fill your mask with black and then paint back with white over the spot on the arm. Another way to do it would be to use your Healing Brush but set it to color. Sample from a good area and brush over.
Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2006, 01:09 AM
You guys are amazing. I'm going to learn so much here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Pepperspray, I'll second that!

Thanks so much for another option and clear instructions. I'm going to give it a try this morning!

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Gina, I had another go at your image. I wanted to see how far I could get without resorting to the clone tool or the healing brush. I wanted to try and clean it up as much as possible by using the filters and adjustment layers thus minimising any clone work. Well, it seems there is no magic bullet but a lot of the damage can be fixed in a few quick steps. Ultimately I had to resort to the Healing Brush to get rid of the worst spots but it was minor work.

My first attachment: this is how far I got without using a clone tool.

First I opened a curves adjustment layer to correct the color. There are so many ways to correct the color in an image. Here is the one I used here: seeing as the image had a red cast to it, I figured - and I am not sure that I am correct on this point because I have never studied anything on this- that the Green and Blue channels had faded with time. I reasoned the red channel could hardly get brighter as it deteriorated. So I opened my info palette and got hold of my eye dropper and looked for a midtone spot on the red channel in the image (i.e. a value of 128). When I found one I marked it, opened a curves adjustment layer and brought my green and blue channels up to the same value. This got rid of the red cast. I set that layer to 'color' and then did another curves adjustment layer to set the white point. I set the white point at 95 and changed that layer's blend mode to Luminosity.

Next to smooth out the colors, I created a new layer, merged visible (ctrl,shift,alt,e) and ran a Dust and Scratches filter (value 6) on it. I set the layers blend mode to color. This evened out the colors nicely and only left a few larger spots but didn't affect the luminosity. You could use Gaussian Blur here but I prefer Median or Dust and Scratches as there is not so much color spread. Nevertheless I still had to mask out the teeth which had become slightly red from color running off the lips.

Next came the Luminosity. Opened a new layer, merged visible again and ran a Dust and Scratches but this time with a value of three. This got rid of most of the smaller scratches. Then I set the layer's blend mode to darken. The dark pixels were unaffected and only the previously light pixels were darkened thus minimizing any blurring of the image.

On the fourth layer I once again merged visible and did Ro's Quick Degrunge trick on the face, neck and arms. High Pass 9, Gaussian Blur 3 and Layer opacity 25.

Finally I did another curves adjustment layer to get rid of the yellow spot on the arm and a high pass layer to sharpen.

Although the explanation was long that took all of about 10 minutes.

My second attachment: a little bit more work but by no means complete. (Another 10 minutes)

Instead of going straight at it with the Healing Brush I once again created a new layer, merged visible and ran the Dust and Scratches filter but this time with a heavier setting until most of the spots and scratches (save the largest ones) disappeared. I black masked this layer, took a soft white brush at 100% opacity and just dabbed on those spots. It is much quicker than the clone tool or the healing brush because it only requires one click. No alt-clicking to first sample and then heal. It is one touch healing. However, if you had CS2 with the new one-touch Healing Brush that would be a different matter. Perhaps I wouldn't use this technique on a face but it works fine for clothing and background.

Then and only then did I break out the cloning tools. And there was hardly any work left to do.

Finally I adjusted the levels again and did some more sharpening and a color balance layer.

And there you have it. Hope this wasn't too long winded and rambling.

Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No-Cloning.jpg (98.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg A-Bit-More-Work.jpg (96.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Syd
And there you have it. Hope this wasn't too long winded and rambling.
Absolutely not! Thanks for taking the time to outline your procedure step by step. I'm looking forward to trying this approach, but it'll have to wait I'm afraid due to a holiday cookout! I did try the other approaches in this thread, and actually combined some, but admittedly I still had quite a bit of healing/ cloning to do. It'll be interesting to follow your steps and see how much closer I can get before pulling out those tools. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 AM

... mine is a mix and match of different techniques used here:
  • Changed to Lab.

• Run Gaussian Blur on a and b Channels tweaking the Blur Radius until most of the spots/discolorations had faded. (You might consider doing this on a BG duplicate + Mask since with this procedure tends to blend the colours in a way that her teeth might turn lightly pink as well ...)

• Ctrl+A copied the L Channel, Ctrl+C pasted it as a Layer on top of the Background and duplicated the 'L-Layer'

• Run Noise>Dust&Scratches on the duplicate tweaking Radius and Threshold until all the spots had disappeared but I still had the texture ... (in this case Radius=16; Threshold=4)

• Applied a Black (Cover All) Layer Mask to my 'corrected L-Layer' and with a soft white Brush I painted over the spots. The Dust& Scratches + Layer Mask procedure id described in this excellent Tutorial

• Merged Visible,
    *Ctrl+A selected the merged-corrected L-Layer,
    *Ctrl+C copied it,
    *deleted all the Layers but the Background, and making sure I was working on the Background,
    *I switched to Channels,
    *activated the L Channel and
    *Ctrl+V pasted the corrected version on it...

• Used the Levels on a and b Channels to corrects the colours... Attachment 2 shows the immediate result after these procedures which are effective and non-distructive...

• Switched back to RGB (the only mode where all filters and Adjustments work!).. to continue with my restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_cindy_web2a.jpg (99.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-015.jpg (26.2 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help