RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Is This Photo Fixable, Or Hopeless?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Question Is This Photo Fixable, Or Hopeless?

Hi, iam new here, i have photoshop cs2, and am trying, to figure out some of the basics of photoshop, while also eager, to jump into more complex projects, so i know this is something i myself, would never be able to do, not for some time anyway, if it's even possible.

I have had this photo awhile, and after i moved, not quite sure what happened to it, but it's basically destroyed. is there any way to save such an image as this? i scanned it, hopefully it will show up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scanup.jpg (96.2 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 AM

Would it be possible to post a larger image?
A higher resolution scan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbonz
Hi, iam new here, i have photoshop cs2, and am trying, to figure out some of the basics of photoshop, while also eager, to jump into more complex projects, so i know this is something i myself, would never be able to do, not for some time anyway, if it's even possible.

I have had this photo awhile, and after i moved, not quite sure what happened to it, but it's basically destroyed. is there any way to save such an image as this? i scanned it, hopefully it will show up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Hi there Richard

You can do this I'm sure. Just read up on the clone and healing brush tools. I open a blank layer and check "use all layers" so if I make a mistake I can just erase the layer and start again. There are many ways to repair your picture but cloning is the easiest to learn and use.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guitarist-thumbnail1.jpg (82.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-03-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43 PM

thanks, and i will try to higher the resolution. it would only take it 100kb or smaller, so it came out tiny, but i will read how to fix that, and make it bigger.

i appreciate the help!

Sincerely,
Rich
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 PM

Hi,

Richard,

welcome to RP!!

Yes, your picture can be restored!! Butch did a very good job!

As for the size, it is a matter of trial and error ... As a thumb rule, the biggest size and best quality that can be achieved still remaining in the 100KB limit, is JPG format, 800x600 pixels at about 60% quality setting ...

You could try scanning your picture at different resolutions and see which is the 'best' for the 100KB resolution-size ratio...

Since the spots were visible in all the Channels, I did more or less what Butch did ... using the Heal Brush only ... in Replace mode first, and Normal mode later ....

As Butch says, 'Cloning' may be the easiest to learn and use... but, personally, I think that 'healing' gives the best results since it " also matches the texture, lighting, transparency, and shading of the sampled pixels to the pixels being healed. As a result, the repaired pixels blend seamlessly into the rest of the image." (from PS Help File)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_scanup2.jpg (99.5 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help