RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Spots - I can't get the spots out!

Old 12-09-2001, 04:49 PM

spotsz

Here's a copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richie.jpg (37.0 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Janitor

I hate to disagree with a new member, but to me the channels look very different. The blue is especially bad. The red loses some detail, so for this one my personal pick would be the green.

From that point on it's a pretty typical restoration job. Read through the Restoration Challenges, and the various tips and discussions here to see if they don't give you some ideas.

You might start with a levels adjust. From that point I believe the work to be done will be a little more obvious.

(give a man a fish...etc.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 02:18 AM

Anthony,

regarding your question: "I never used dust and scratches before. ...I take a snapshot, use the history brush and then I understand I am suppose remove the blur. When I do nothings changed. ...I am missing something?"

I think you may have missed a step (I know that I did when I started learning to use it)

After running the D&S filter, make a snapshot, then in the History palette, click the left column of the snapshot -- that tells Photoshop to use it as the source for the history brush tool. (If you make more snapshots, it's best to name them to keep track of what step they represent so you can decide which one you want to use). THEN, step back one step in your history palette - click back to the step BEFORE Dust and Scratches - your image will NOT be blurry because Dust & Scratches will be applied ONLY where you touch with the history brush - allowing you to blur away small scratches and defects without cloning.

You can use the 'Search' feature of the forums using History Brush to find threads with tips on its use.

Enjoy -- it's a new toy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 07:42 AM

Spots

Doug - I still didn't see it, so I had to get away from it for a while. You know how it goes, the more you look at it, the more you don't see it. I will take a look at it later and maybe it will be more obvious.

C.J. - thanks for your help. I am sure I missed that step. I will try that later also and let you know how it goes. I've gotten so used to using the rubber stamp tool, and quite good at it I might add, but I would welcome anything that reduces the restoration time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 10:04 AM

Anthony
Are your channels in color or black and white? It's alot easier to see the differences if you view them in black and white. If so, go to your prefrences and select Displays and Cursors and uncheck the box that says view channels in color. That may be why you can't see a difference. Also look at the faces of the guys when you look at which channel has the most spots. The major damage is throughout the channels but you should see some improvement when viewing just the red channel or even better the green channel.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 11:32 AM

Anthony,
DJ has a point when she says that the major damage is throughout the channels. I also see the damage in all of the channels, but the degree is different in each. The blue (in RGB) channel seems especially "dirty" do me. You might also try looking at the channels in CMYK mode and see if any of those look any better to you. The K channel has washed out highlights, but if mixed with the M channel(?), might be OK. You'll have to play with it to get the right mix. Regardless, this is one photo where you'll still have plenty of work to do even after deciding on which channel mix to use. Good luck.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 08:37 PM

CJ - I tried the the dust & scratches filter again and I see what you mean. Yes, its not blurry now. I am going to go over the instructions again though, because it's not quite right yet.

DJ - I changed the channels to b&W and it was very helpful, although I still don't see that much difference. Maybe because the original is so badly spotted. I even tried removing them one at a time, but still not much different. I will try again and combine yours and CJ's helpful hints and see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2001, 08:47 PM

Jeanie,
Yes, you're right - I do see more of a difference changing it to cmyk. The sopts don't seem to disappear though, but the discoloration does. That's very helpful. You're right there is still alot of work to do. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 01:18 AM

I’m an oldie and self taught. I tried the history brush to get rid of spots. I must have done something wrong. However I learned enough to workout something that works.

Make a duplicate. IMAGE > DUPLICATE > OK.

With the original go to FILTER > NOISE > DUST & SCRATCHES > in the drop down menu leave the threshold at 0. Move the slider on radius until the small spots disappear. Then OK

Drag and drop the copy image over the top of the original scan.

Then with the eraser and a small brush rub away the many small spots. This works best in areas that don’t have small detail, like sky or clothing where there is no seams or folds.

The sample given has more problems than small spots it is one that has mould and would need a lot of time spent on it.

Sally
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the good tips Sally. I will have to give them a try. Sounds great.

Anthony
Either way you look at it, that was a work intensive restoration task to have to do. Don't forget to let us know how it goes. Love to see the final results and hear how you finally had to deal with it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help