RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Spots - I can't get the spots out!

Old 01-03-2002, 05:58 PM

Before and after restoration

Here is the damp scan and the completed restoration. I did it a few months ago but most of it would have been using the rubber stamp. I may have used some very light airbrush. I didn't use the dust and speckles method as I didn't know about it then.

Sally. (enjoying the summer in West Australia)

PS I hope I have made the prints within the size limit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damp scan 1.jpg (86.5 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 06:13 PM

beautiful job sally, know it must have been very satisfying to achieve.

ps it won't let you upload it if it's too big
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 06:28 PM

Removing small spots with eraser

I think I just posted an example in to the wrong stream. I thought the subject was scanning prints with a lot of noise. (texture). Here is a print that was flaking, if I dampened this one it would have wiped every thing off the paper. Leaving a snowman in a snow storm, very easy to restore!!!!!!!

The original was 20” x !6”. I scanned each head at 600dpi so I had a large file to work with. The whole print was scanned at 150Dpi and stitched together. (my scanner is only A4)

I have cropped out some of the sides to save file size for this posting. As previously described I made a duplicate copy of the whole print. Blurred the first print and superimposed the copy. With the eraser I cleaned up the background and clothing of both people.

I then worked on both faces filling in all the gaps with the rubber stamp. All of the mans moustache was there on one side so I mirrored it for the other side. I used his wife’s neck and chin to fill in the missing segment. I used the mans face side (near his eye) and ear lobe for his wife.

Then I had to reduce the 2 heads to fit on to the original. It was a great deal of work and I hope I don’t get another one like this for a while. This was done for a camera store so I never saw the lady who wanted it restored. I was told when she picked it up she was in raptures, she said she could see the family likeness in her ancestors. I couldn’t have had a better compliment.

I wasn’t planning to post this so I didn’t make notes as I went.

Sally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flaking print.jpg (63.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 06:45 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sally,

That's an absolutely *beautiful* job! I hope you were well compensated for something like that. After reading your other post about photographing a print under water, I realized I had done that many years ago when I had a problematic texture (I had completely forgotten about it, and don't remember where I saw the technique, but I do remember using glass to weight it down). I think your suggestion about wetting the print has enough merit to rate it's own thread. It could prove useful to people in the future.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 07:10 PM

Sally
That is some very impressive artistic talent there. You did a marvelous job with that photo. It's amazing how much detail you managed to get from that mess. Good going Girl!! Liked the one of the guy and girl also. Very nice work.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 07:19 PM

wow

as i looked at it i was thinking you must know these people, they must be kinfolk because you made something out of mostly nothing. then i read your description. wow again. hats off to you sally.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 07:19 PM

Would you like me to copy any past posts on the subject or can you start a new thread with a link.

I have never started a new thread. I should be capable of doing it.

I have just put another scanning trick on a different thread.

Would you like to start one called scanning tips for us all to contribute to?

Sally

PS unfortunately the monetary compensation was far from adequate. That is why I hoped for feed back from the customer. I was told the customer wouldn’t be able to afford my original quote. I’m a soft touch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Janitor

We'd love as many scanning tip threads as we can get. Use the input/output forum.

Please keep them to one tip per thread, with an accurate and descriptive title. This way everyone can find them, and the discussions don't get overlapped and confusing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help