RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

help to get rid of magenta cast

Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM

help to get rid of magenta cast

hello, .... just came back from puerto rico (picture pirfect place), but not for me i know everything depp. on the camera used ,but im not a photographer so i used regular cheap camera (its not even digital), so back to the point ... got back my images and what a shock ...90% of images have magenta cast , no matter what i did to 'em it didnt turn out to be even close to what was happening at the time when photo was taken. according to the images time of shot is around 7 or 8 pm, but in actuallity it was taken around 2 or 3 pm.
sooooo, please help me....
oh, and noise allover the image as well.
larger image here: http://cherrydust.com/Luquillo_beach.jpg

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luquillo_Beach_PuertoRico.jpg (95.7 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Patron

Magenta

Well I switched the photo over to lab and then used the color sampler in photoshop to sample the clouds and decided they were gray with no cast. So using curves on the a and b channels I adjusted the color of the clouds to neutral.

I don't know if this what you saw at the time but that is how I corrected or at least changed your photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beach.jpg (28.2 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Dear Phil, thank you, looks amazing.
off to follow your steps
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 PM

Hi there

I color corrected then added a little color to the sand and replaced the sky

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan00031.jpg (26.0 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Phil,
May I ask why you chose to color correct with lab color instead of RGB. The image looks a lot better.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Normally auto-levels will give you a good start when fixing a photo like this. However if you try that nothing happens.
Auto-levels works by fixing the extreme points. If you look at the left edge there's a white border and so Auto-Levels will fix that and not even see your photo.

- I put in a Levels layer and selected the grey point on the sand. That left things still slightly blue so, still in Levels, I nudged the Blue gamma slider to taste;
- The image seemed to need a bit more colour, so I put in a Hue/Saturation layer and increased the Saturation a touch (+30%);
- A look at the Histogram shows the photo with lots of Highlights, some Shadows and hardly any mid-tones. A quick fix here is to duplicate the layer and run Image>Adjustments>Equalize, back off the opacity until you get a good result;
- Still seemed to be lacking colour, but increasing the saturation more resulted in harsh blues and yellows. So changed to LAB mode and with a Curve tweaked the mid-part (only) of the B curve.

Took a lot longer to write than to do!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luquillo_beach_byRo.jpg (96.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliPhotography
Phil,
May I ask why you chose to color correct with lab color instead of RGB. The image looks a lot better.
Thanks.
Hi there Juli, welcome to RetouchPRO.

Hope Phil doesn't mind if I reply...

Without going into too many details: In LAB the Lightness information (greyscale image) is in a separate channel to the colour information (which is in A and B). This means that any adjustments that you do to the colours, won't affect the Lightness.

In RGB things are different. The Lightness is a mix of the information in all three channels, and perceived colour is another mix of the three. Which means that if you adjust the colour, chances are that the Lightness will get ..er.. mixed up.

So that's why, in general, LAB is a good option for doing colour adjustments.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Patron

Hi Cybercat, I get so many of these types of images that I have tried to come up with some techniques / actions that work well on a range of similar images that I can save a lot of time and batch them. This image happened to work quite well.
The sequence was as follows:
Equalize the image first (Image>Adjust>Equalize)
Do a Shadow Highlight Adj (Image>Adjust>Shadow Highlight) Default values 50/50/30.
This next step is not always necessary but often with underexposed images there is a lot of noise, so at this point I run Noise Ninja to smooth out the noise before the las step.
Next Image>Adjust>Match Color and just check the Neutralize box with no other settings.
The image come pretty well back into range for me. As a final tweak I took the image into LAB and did a minor curve adjustment to reduce the magenta by a few points (A channel) and increased the yellow by a couple (B channel).
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luquillo_beach Rev MM Thumbnail.jpg (90.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 12:24 PM

philbach, Daviskw, byRo, mistermonday i cant thank you enough for helping me. now with your guidance i can try to save rest of the images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM

a simple no-nonsense approach.

Really funny author too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help