RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Thought I was pretty good

Old 06-11-2006, 03:43 AM

Thumbs down

Thanks everyone for your input -
just shows that I have a long long way to go which will include many hours in front of this screen

May I say many thx again
Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 AM

Barb

Hi Smuf!

I just had to give your picture a try. I haven't been using PhotoShop for too long, just a little over a year. There is so much to learn.

I did levels, curves and then mostly cloning. I did borrow an eye and I am not sure I like it. I also sharpened the picture. Since I do not have the experience of most folks on this group, it took me several hours to do.

I hope you like it.

CarolB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barb.jpg (55.6 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2006, 08:42 PM

All the above is good advice.
And since it looks like you will be spending quite some time on those cracks and creases it may be worth your while to find the best tool, for you, to do it with.
Photoshop is good. But it's a Swiss army knife: most of the tools you never use (or even know what they're for...).
I submit you have a look at the tools in PhotoLine32 (get it here), notably at the copybrush that I use a lot for this kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 AM

I like it Klassy. You have evened out the tones nicely. She looks a bit like Helen Hunt, doesn't she?

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 AM

RokcetScientist

Looks pretty good - will give the trial a go
Have been using Ulead PhotoImpact recently and find it much easier to use than anything else I've tried before.

Thx everyone for your invaluable input
Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 AM

Smurf, CarolB,

welcome to RP!!

..Just wanted to add something to what has been said already...

unlike 'Retouching', 'Restoring' a picture means trying to take it back to the conditions it had when it was taken, in the most 'natural' way possible.

Old pictures might have many and different problems, the most common of which are:
  • Faded
  • Faded or nearly 'gone' colours
  • Colour Casts
  • Scratches
  • Mold
  • Exposure
  • Noise

...that is why there can't be either one magic button to fix all the problems, or a single Tutorial covering all these topics in one go!

The Software, methods and techniques to correct each problem area in a picture are many (understatement of the century!! ) and it's a matter of trying until you find what you feel more comfortable with, and of being flexible enough to venture new ways...

In my experience, Books are the only 'Learning Tools' that cover all (or most of) these topics. Like many here, I consider Katrin Eismann's "Restoration and Retouching" Book a 'Bible' in the field, but I know that there are many other books, just as valid and good on the market.

Like many here, I've been using Photoshop since years (I started with version 6) and, like Swampy, I'm still learning, but I'd like to share some Tips I found very useful in Restoring pictures:
  • If dealing with portraits or picture of people, never change the 'identity' of the subject/s ... meaning don't change eyes, mouths, noses and don't reposition these features in the face ... It might look nicer to you, but satisfy your taste isn't what matters ... you are dealing with people's memories and people want to remember/recognize the subject/s of the pictures as they were!!! (Reconstruction of missing details is another topic)

• Keep in mind that old pictures rarely had a very strong contrast, so, go easy when adjusting contrast and exposure, a well balanced picture still has visible details in both darkest and lightest areas ...

• The same goes for colours ... bright coloured pictures are the product of a much closer past ... so, don't go splashing strong colours on your image just for the sake of impact and, maybe, even for drawing attention from 'uncorrected' or badly corrected areas .... Be very careful to soften the edges and really blend the colours when colorizing ... badly coloured pictures tend to look like a kid's experiment on a Colouring Book!
    Here are some very useful colouring Tips.

• Unless specifically asked, be it by customers or friends/family, don't change a photograph into a painting or a very personal artistic interpretation .... It surely makes everything easier as 'artistic' procedures tend to 'hide' scratches/imperfections much quicker ... but, sometimes, these procedures tend to transform a face into a nearly unrecognizable 'blob'

• Go very easy with 'denoising' procedures ... (no matter what software and method you use) ... an 'overdenoised' subject migh look like a plastic doll making everything look very unnatural!

• Go very easy with sharpening too, as strong sharpening can create unwanted, unnatural 'haloes' around a subject.

• Finally, when making corrections, any kind of correction, start very softly ... you can 'build up' gradually until you are satisfied with the result.

Hope these tips can help you like they helped me!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Barb1.jpg (97.1 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Flora; 06-14-2006 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added a Link...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 AM

As usual Flora... wonderful job and advice. May I ask did you do a little work on the eye?... If so did you use shading or did you copy an eye from another picture?

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Thought I also would give it a try.

Used a number of blending modes and merges.

Played around with Hue and Saturation

Selected various areas and varied the hue and saturation.

Cloned out the cracks etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barb geo for web .jpg (47.6 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 04:39 PM

I decided to follow Flora's advice and try to keep most of the original color and try again... at least what I think it was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled1.jpg (99.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-12-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 06:49 AM

Hi,

thanks for your kindness, Butch!!

Much better ... you could try desaturating the background slightly and 'lifting the shadows a bit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
.. May I ask did you do a little work on the eye?... If so did you use shading or did you copy an eye from another picture?
I used a blank Layer set to Overlay and, with a very soft black Brush (Opacity 5-10%) I carefully enhanced her eye... If you haven't seen it yet, here is a Tutorial on 'my' Blank Layers set to...' technique..

albatrosss,

... from what I can see of your tiny picture, I like the soft, muted colours!!
A bit too strong on the contrast/shadows
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help