RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Thought I was pretty good

Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Thought I was pretty good

Hi

After messing around with Photoshop for about 6 months I thought I was getting pretty good
Then ...............................
I got shot down in flames when my in-laws came up with an old photo of their friends deceased parents.
It was ceased/damaged and faded.
After about a month of trying I have got nowhere fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could someone help me to find some really good tutorials that could help me make a 'silk purse out of a sows ear'

many thx
Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 12:18 PM

I don't think there is a "magic pill" for the process of retouching. Much depends on the problems with each different file. I think you also have to accept that there are some files that are just too far gone to ever do justice to.

What are the problems with your specific file? Can you post a sample?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Thx for the quick reply Swampy
I will certainly try to add the actual photo for anyones comments/advice

thx again
Smurf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barb.jpg (42.6 KB, 175 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Patron

Barb, this image has a ton of life left in it. It took me less than 1 minute to restore the base color. I don't have any more time this afternoon but I would next adjust the tone slightly and proceed to clone over the cracks and clean up the small stains. You an also turn this into a nice B&W or recolor parts of it. It is in a lot better condition than many posted here.
Good luck withthe restoration.
Rgds, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barb Rev MM.jpg (85.4 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 01:54 PM

mistermonday that is absolutely superb - didn't realise it had so much colour.

As for the rest - that is the bit I am having trouble sorting - and why I would like to find a good tutorial to help me learn the tecniques neccessary tto be able to do this
many thx again
Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM

the color and most of the cracking is not too bad (clone stamp and healing brush mostly should be able to handle it...) the main problem I see is that one of the cracks is definitely over his eye...it is hard to re-create entire body parts like that. It will have to be done up very close on a high res image, or "borrow" a different eye! Best of luck, restoring old images liks that can be a challenge, but rewarding and well worth the effort when you see the face of the person it is for.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanx everyone for your invaluable help - these are things I would never have been able to do myself
As I said b4 I would like to find 'idiot proof' tutorials of how to do these procedures.

As for 'clone stamp and healing brush' - again I have never used these tools - Have always used cut & paste to solve my problems (guess this is not the best way?)

thx
Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Did a very quick clone job, so you could get some idea of what you can get out of this picture.

The posted picture is a little small, and has a lot of jpeg artifacts.

Obviously with more time and a larger picture you should be able to get a better result.

Added a little colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barb copy.jpg (80.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-11-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpapasmurf

Hi

After messing around with Photoshop for about 6 months I thought I was getting pretty good
Then ...............................
I got shot down in flames when my in-laws came up with an old photo of their friends deceased parents.
It was ceased/damaged and faded.
After about a month of trying I have got nowhere fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could someone help me to find some really good tutorials that could help me make a 'silk purse out of a sows ear'

many thx
Smurf

Six months, huh? Smurf, I'm here to tell you that I've been using Photoshop since version 2 and still feel there is SO much left to learn! It is just so deep and broad. There are some excellent tutorials here in RTP dealing with various aspects of retouching and Photoshop techniques.

At your stage of the learning process, you are probably familiar with the basic tools such as crop, clone, select, etc. With some basic knowledge of the tools it might be worth your time and money to visit Lynda.com. There, for $25 for a one month 24/7 subscription, you can view all the video tutorials available and get a better grasp of the basics of Photoshop. In addition to the PhotoShop tutorials there, watch Bert Monroy's stuff. It will bowl you over.

Katrin Eismann's "Restoration and Retouching" Book is a Bible of techniques specific to restoring old photos. In the book, she will tell you how to get the excercise files and work along with the book.

There are just too many resources available (books, movies, podcasts, web sites, magazines) to tell you where to go. You're request is almost too "general" for anyone here to respond to because there are so many ways to "fix" or "repair" the multitude of problems that any one file (let alone the whole general subject of retouching) can begin to touch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2006, 04:08 PM

Hi there smurf

I boosted the saturation to get a little idea of the colors. Then removed color using the green channel and added some color back in. I don't think I got the girls clothes right.. oh well nothing new there... just ask the wife.

Non the less mostly cloning and healing brush then adding a little color.

Any book on Photoshop will have an extensive section on the clone and healing brush tools. That is the area I would look at to get a handle on how to repair your picture.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (96.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-12-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help