RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help! Black Fadeout Problem!

Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 PM

Help! Black Fadeout Problem!

I have an old photo that I am trying to restore for my mother-in-law, but the dark areas (hairlines, for example) have deteriorated and are now a shiny black/silver color. I am not sure how to classify the problem, but I have not been able to find a good tutorial to help remove or fix it. I hope someone can help me identify the issue and maybe solve the problem. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family.jpg (21.3 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Patron

Willster, Welcome to RP.
First problem is that the image you uploaded is way too compressed and has severe jpeg pixelation. Hopefully you have a higher resolution scan to work on. If the blue reflection is not actually on the original photo, try rescanning it at a different angle. If the discoloration is actually part of the image then you can convert the image to B&W and work on the damaged area and when you are finished, just apply a Sepia or Duotone effect or leave the image in B&W. The quick fix to the damaged area would be to turn it into a vignette or blur the background. You can try to restore the lower parts of the people and their clothing, you will need to cut and paste parts in form other images as the detail has been obliterated. I did a quick fix as an example and have attached it below.
Good luck with your restoration.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willster98 Rev MM.jpg (90.2 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 12:16 AM

Hi there

Not too pleased with my version but I am suffering from brain freeze just now.

I used the green channel to remove color. Then with blank layers set to luminosity I copied tone in the hair then the surrounding areas to even things out. Then with levels and hue/saturation I refined the tone I wanted.

A generous dose of noise filtering and an application of sepia tone and a sharpen layer to finish off.

I’m sure someone will have some better ideas.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family.jpg (96.7 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Patron

That is a lovely portrait, I can't tell for sure how effected the detail in the 'silvered' areas is from your posted image... did you scan it? If so the silver will show a bit of sheen... I think there is a tutorial for scanning textured and glossy prints on this site somewhere... I post a link when locate it.
In regards of print itself, this problem I think is refered to as colloidial silver ('free silver', 'silvering', 'blue silvering'), which is in such small form that it can migrate eventually to the surfaces of the print. Another term that comes to mind is Oxidative Fading. It is mostly caused by oxidizing influences in the enviroment, humidity, and/or inproper care during print development, and eventually just time itself with light as the catalyst. This is common in most silver based prints. Sepia or selenium toning prevents this problem to a great extent. I hope this sheds some light (um, safelight that is)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Patron

Here's the tutorial that I had in mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 04:56 AM

i have another version. only a little retouch...

[img=http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5223/retouch1wx.th.jpg]

1. desturate and colorized
2. burned the shiny parts
3. applied a curve-layer to remove the black points in background
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 AM

wow

Everyone's help has been amazing, and has given me lots of great ideas to work with. Just an FYI, I do have the original, and it is a scan. I have a higher quality photo if anyone would like a copy, just contact me through email in my profile. In the meantime I will work on it, see if I can remove those "silver" areas. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 AM

Hi,

willster98,

Welcome to RP!!

your posted picture is only 21.2 KB with a lot of compression artifacts .. (allowed attachments' size = 100 KB) ...

I had a go and used Hue/Saturation on the 'silvering' (no detail hidden in there though...)

Used the Levels to lift the shadows a bit.

Neat Image to minimize the 'artifacts' on the group of people.

Lightly sharpened the people only...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_family2.jpg (98.7 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM

willster98,

welcome to RP.

i worked on this last and then came in today and saw flora's and thought, 'hue/sat! of course.'. so, i started over. that will be a big time saver. you can use that as an adjustment layer or a direct application. you could make a selection of the silvered area or work on the entire image as a whole and simply reduce the blues down to no saturation and lower the lightness a bit. not sure how flora did hers.

from there it gets fairly easy. the background needs some cleaning and that can vary how you do that. i used a lot of heavy smudging to simply blur and clean. probably an easier way, but oh well.

and instead of neat image, like flora uses, i used paint shop pro's digital camera noise removal, which amounts to pretty much the same thing. i then ran a .jpg artifact remover behind that.

i also ran a 'shadows/midtones/highlights' filter to adjust for brightness.

from there it was just little cleanups here and there with push and smudge on a separate blank layer.

and flora, nice job and thanks for the reminder of hue/sat

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family-2-k-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 AM

Great Ideas

Again, everyone has had super ideas. I will look into what I can do and get back with the group! Thanks so much...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help