Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

It's an aberration!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:53 AM
It's an aberration!

I am trying to kill off as much chromatic aberration as I can in this raw image before I drop it into photoshop. But I can't seem to get an acceptable result here... Grrrr! Am I missing something important here? Am I flogging a dead horse, and would be better off just fixing it in PS? (BTW yes the highlights are blown out as is)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aberation1.jpg (93.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Aberation2.jpg (89.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I tried the adjusting the chromatic aberration through lens correction without much luck on the bride. My suggestion would be to remove as much of the CA as you can in RAW without altering other areas of the photo then finish the image in PhotoShop.

And for those that might be interested in some techniques on removing color fringing, here are a few I found through some web searching:

Chromatic aberration or "color fringing" is caused by the camera lens not focusing different wavelengths of light onto the exact same focal plane (the focal length for different wavelengths is different) and/or by the lens magnifying different wavelengths differently. The amount of chromatic aberration depends on the dispersion of the glass.

Chromatic aberration is visible as color fringing around contrasty edges and occurs more frequently around the edges of the image frame in wide angle shots.
Gaussian Blur - Quick Fix
Another easy way of fixing chromatic aberration is to do a Gaussian Blur (you will have to play around with the radius trying to blur the chromatic aberration away) then go to Edit/ Fade Gaussian Blur and set the mode to Color.

Gaussian Blur - Long Method
1. Zoom in until you can see chromatic aberration that you'll want to remove
2. Duplicate the background layer
3. Go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and blur away the chromatic aberration
4. Click the eye icon next to the duplicate layer in the layers palette to hide it for now.
5. Select the eyedropper in the toolbar and set it to sample a 3x3 pixel area.
6. Go to Select > Color Range. Move the cursor over the image window (it turns into an eyedropper) and sample the color in the fringe you want to remove. Adjust the fuzziness slider in the Color Range dialog until you have your area selected.
7. Go to Select > Modify > Expand selection and enter ~3 pixels (you may have to adjust for your image).
8. Go to Select > Feather > and enter ~2 pixels.
9. Click the eye icon next to the duplicate layer to make the layer visible again and click the layer in the layers palette to make it active.
10. Change the Blending Mode to Color (this preserves the underlying detail or luminance values and changes only the color).
11. Click the Add Layer Mask at the bottom of the layers palette (since you have a selection in place, the mask will hide everything except the selection).
12. There may still be some fringing. If you want to work on it further, make sure the layer mask is selected and select the brush tool (press B), press D to set the foreground color to white, set the brush opacity to 100% in the options bar at the top, and paint over the fringing to clean up any stray color. Make sure you're using the Normal brush.

Hue/Satuation Adjustment Layer
Select the affected areas to minimize the impact on other areas of the image (you may also want to apply a slight feather to soften the transition).

Open a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer. Select the appropriate channel (such as magenta) and turn the saturation down until the fringing lessens or disappears.

You may have to repeat this technique a few times to completely remove the fringing.

The attachment was done quickly by using the Gaussian Blur - Long Method
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (95.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 07-16-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Many thanks for your help T, the process you used here works well for me and these are my own wedding pics so I have the luxury of being able to put all the time I need into work I do on them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help