Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old 07-17-2006, 08:19 AM

very nice job everybody!!

Originally Posted by skydog
I have two pictures which are typical of the day.
.... they might not have come out as you wished, but I still think these are two great shots of couple and bride!

Pic 1. How best to adjust the color of the skin? I find the skin to be slightly green and I'm having problems removing all the green tint (neck/shoulders) without messing up the eventually messing up the temperature of the other skin areas.
.... Can't give you any help/tip at all about shooting pictures, so, I'm only talking from a 'retouching' point of view ... In my opinion, the greenish cast is just one of the problems... For the reasons you explained the whole picture is a bit too dark and lifeless.. Where it isn't 'green', the skin colour has, anyway, too much cyan/yellow in it giving the couple, and the little that can be seen of the Minister, an unhealthy, unnatural look.

Working with PS CS2, I used a Levels Adjustment Layer to lift the shadows, and another Levels Adjustment Layer to minimize the green cast by setting the grey point on a lighter spot at the back of the groom's jacket.

I, then, used:
Selective Colors and Hue/saturation to correct the colours.
Levels and Brightness/Contrast for tone and contrast.
Neat Image to minimize the noise.
Copy+Paste to hide the Minister.
Smart Sharpen to lightly sharpen the image.

Pic 2 is typical of most of the photos outside the tent. Shadows are harsh under the eyes.
Thanks for any advice as I proceed with this pics.
... Same procedure as for the first picture...minus the minimizing the colour cast since here there was none.

We work with different Colour Profiles:
Adobe RGB (1998) you, sRGB ICE61966-2.1 me ...I'm not sure but this might alter the look of colours and saturation ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_picture1a.jpg (99.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg F_CRW_0363.jpg (98.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Patrick.

Thanks for the diagrams.

It is probably not necessary but maybe your diagrams deserve a little further explanation.

In the second diagram you may have given the impression that the overlapping area will be overexposed but this is not the case.

Imagine that the ambient light (sunlight) is giving a reading of 125th at f8 and the reflected (flash) light is set to f5.6
In the areas that receive light from both light sources the correct exposure would still be f8. The lights do not add together and overexpose.
The only way the lights would become additive is if there was a multiple exposure (one for each light)

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help