RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Guidance

Old 07-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Guidance

I recently took some photos at a friend's wedding that had some very harsh conditions. The wedding occurred at noon, and the sun was very intense. In addition, the wedding occurred under a tent which was quite dark. I was instructed not to use a flash, and I could only take pictures outside the tent.
I have two pictures which are typical of the day.

Pic 1. For pics under the tent I increased my f stop by 1 to try to bring in a little more light without blowing away outside the tent (I also shot raw). For pic 1 I started to duplicate the pic, bring out the light of the couple using layer adjustment, I was then going to mask out the sky and the minister to bring out the blue of the original layer. How best to adjust the color of the skin? I find the skin to be slightly green and I'm having problems removing all the green tint (neck/shoulders) without messing up the eventually messing up the temperature of the other skin areas.

Pic 2 is typical of most of the photos outside the tent. Shadows are harsh under the eyes. Would those of you that normally shoot wedding have planned to use a fill flash in these conditions? Is there anyway to improve this condition?

Thanks for any advice as I proceed with this pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture1a.jpg (97.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0363 smalla.jpg (86.6 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 08:32 AM

This one may have a little more detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_0363.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Hi Skydog.

Oh Dear.
You have given yourself a whole heap of extra work here.

I ALWAYS use flash for every wedding shot. (Except in the church) Set one stop lower than ambient. So take a meter reading, say 125th at f8 then I would set my flash to f5.6 this fills in the shadows and would have saved a lot of time.
Also the pictures are not as sharp as expected??

The images are salvageable. Especially as they are in Raw.

Just a whole heap of extra work

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_CRW_0363a.jpg (97.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 AM

Hi dog,

(in case you're a girl: sorry bout the dog )

in a regular shooting I use a reflector to light the models' shadow areas. But as you will hardly have somebody around with a 2 square meter reflector yes, a ring-flash or something would do the job at least quite well. Best thing would be a handheld-flash which is not mounted on the camera and could be held opposing the sun, I illustrated it a bit in the attached drawings.

You can sure do something to lighten up the shadows, using a screen-layer and masking out the background etc.

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg direct-flash-and-indirect-flash.jpg (32.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback thus far...get feedback! As I've mentioned in previous posts, I normally shoot action sports shots (area high schools/college) and never do weddings. Thankfully I was not the paid photographer for this event, but I found the paid photographer didn't use a flash either...but I agree, this would have been the best approach.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 AM

get should have been "great"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 03:56 PM

Hi Skydog

Strange things happen with color in low light. Rather than fiddling with all the making and such why not just use Shadows/Highlights?

I also noticed the strange green tinge, but rather than fight with color balance and such I just picked a few skin tones from another picture and applied them with a gradient map. You have other good pictures of them so it would not be hard pick a few tones then apply.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture1a.jpg (98.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 07-16-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 04:05 PM

Butch..I really like what you did with that picture. Now this is one of weaknesses: working with shadows and highlights...when working on this picture to improve the shadows and highlights of the couple did you create one layer and adjust the H/S and mask out the background? thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 04:30 PM

Hi there

No I just used shadows and highlights...but also a curves adjustment to boost contrast and to keep some color in the sky. Then applied the gradient map skin tones and a little smoothing of the skin

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 AM

Had a vquick play with your image.

Duplicated image to new layer. Desaturated, inverted, set blend mode to Soft Light, then reduced layer opacity to taste (I used about 75%).

Applied layer mask, and masked out all areas but skin. (mask a bit sloppy on posted image as it was a quick job meant to illustrate concept).

New Curves adjustment layer, and adjusted skin tone a little, reducing blue tint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_0363 copy.jpg (88.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help