Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

At Grips with Engraving.

Old 01-30-2002, 12:52 AM
I realize this post is a bit stale, but if you are still looking...

I'm not sure if a commercial plug-in would be acceptable, but Andromeda Software makes two plug-ins that might work for you. One is called the Screens Filter, and the other is the Cutline Filter. Both give variations on the engraved, mezzotint, or wood cut style from grayscale (or should that be greyscale; ah, well two cultures separated by a common language).

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:34 AM
No stale threads here

In fact, I wish more people would read back to find interesting older threads that petered out for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the interesting url. I was just checking it out and it looks like there's alot of neat filters to check out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Here's a simple approach. I use WinImages but you should be able to do it in photoshop or PSP:

Isolate the image (the face). I cut it out and put it on it's own layer (which is probably where you have it anyway, eh?)

I put a base underneath the hole where the face was that is the color of the bill background.

I converted the face layer to monochrome and increased the contrast 100%

I ran WinImage's "Derivative" operator on it, signed on gray and multiply level 2. This is a pretty vanilla math function, you should be able to find a plugin that does it freeware or maybe photoshop already has it. This gets you the lines where the engraving cut would be.

I set the face layer to multiply. Now the lines modify the base color underneath. Looks decent, though you either need a sharper scan of the bill, or softening of the face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funnybill.jpg (60.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help