RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Change hair color

Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 AM

A little Something

I hope you don't mind... I thought she needed a little something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg something.jpg (87.4 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 AM

Maybe something like that? I didn't do the hair ends properly, just a quick draft... I think the color is awful, though, and doesn't match her complexion and lipstick shade at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draftred.jpg (97.3 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother
Ok... this is mine. I think i's very important for the hair to look realistic, not just colorized.
That all depends how you define realistic, the one I did is very close to my actual hair colour (under good lighting anyway) Just like the girl on the box, though it cost £50 at a salon to actually get it that colour.

But I'm sure many people wouldnt consider that to be 'realistic'. Given that, as this thread as shown, deep red can be interpretted as anything from bright ginger to brown with a 50p 'shaders' dye job, I chose the colour sample provided at the top of the image (well I assume thats what it was for).

Natural and realistic are not the same thing, most of the posts in this thread I would class as realistic (aside from quick and sloppy masking) though few look 'natural'.

This monitor isnt callibrated so maybe it will look different at home but yours looks like a cheap temporary dye on brunette hair thats gone a little pink (and were the roots intentional ) - which is probably more realistic for most of us with our home dye kits, but I'm not sure that its a desirable colour for advertising. In fashion and advertising, many things are exaggerated, including hair colour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 AM

stopa, glad to help - it's really simple using the hue/saturation/mask method becuase you can go from "natural" to "realistic" to "exagerated" jsut by playing around with the colorisation slider - i've attached four samples of variations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1redhairsamples.jpg (95.5 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM

Label under water

go into Lab mode, mask out the hair, then play with the a & b channels for the color...then play with the L channel for the tone.

Did this in like a min or 2.

hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft1.jpg (99.1 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Smile Like Yours

KR1156 Really nice work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 PM

hehehe, i always love these and this once again shows there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

i used to usually mask and then apply something like hue/sat, but more and more i find i can get a more natural look with an airbrush on a blank layer and more finely tune the look i want as well. some folks also like to set the blank layer to 'color' blend.

the way i was originally taught was from a photo editor at maxim magazine. it involved a duped layer, a complete mask and a colorizing layer. you then simply erased the parts of the mask you wanted to get the colorizing. well, something like that. it's been a while since i've used that method though.

there are also plugins that can do a fairly good job of this, but again, usually with a mask. i have a filter forge filter that will do it quite nicely.

craig

edit: oops, i forgot one vital step in my airbrushing. after you get the color applied you simply gausian blur the airbrush layer to suit and then erase any bits where the color blurred outside where you wanted it.

edit: boy, i'm getting old...keep forgetting things. the airbrushing has an added advantage in that you now have a layer with color in the shape of the hair. you can now change the hair color VERY easily to anything you want since it's isolated on its own layer. use blend modes and hue/sat and you can change from anything to anything.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 07-25-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks alot Godmother.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Another quick go. Note did not mask properly as I was not spening a good amount of time on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl.jpg (73.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Why stop with the hair. Go all the way.

Seriously, one thing I picked up was correcting the fringy hair against the background. Used Hue/Sat with masks. Same mask, Selective color above.

Use Selective color to adjust main colors and densities. For the fringy hair, use the white channel and adjust to taste. All using same mask.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft-LL.jpg (93.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help