RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Overexposed "Must Have" photo

Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM

Hi Murray.

Thanks.
Yes, the equalize did add (mainly pink) blocks of random colour but I thought these blocks were mainly coming from the jpeg compression, so I would not expect them to be as pronounced in a raw file. (I assume Lynell is working in raw)

The equalize expands the histogram and so does lead to some posterization.

Please post your findings I would be interested to see the results.

The other think I am finding useful is Swampy’s blown out sky tutorial. (Absolute checked) This works on anything that is clipped. Blown out paths even blown out skin.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks all....I'm going to try these suggestions tonight. Matching the sky of the day won't be hard because the wedding I was at was an outdoor about 10 miles from the college. Basically, the exact same sky dynamics.

I'll keep watching for new suggestions and let you know how this mess turns out. Appreciate all the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 AM

well, the bad news is, your assistant has to die. so, pick your method, take him/her out back and do the deed quickly and quietly, preferably with his/her own camera as the weapon of choice.

the other bad news is, there is no way with any filter or action or automaticity to restore the blown out areas. if you want those back you're going to have to hand restore them, either as butch suggested from the other images or by guessing. no other choice there.

the good news is, if you do have decent pics of the same people you might be able to fake the whole image by borrowing all of the people and just compositing them into a large group shot. you could even do it over this posted image.

and, if you do decide to let your assistant live, they need to be put on a short tether and have basic photographic terminology cleared up. like, 'define what a camera is.'. 'define exposure'. 'define light' and other semi-important things like that.

also, you might want to teach him about group shots. group shots shld NEVER be taken as if it's a panoramic landscape shot. even if you crop the current image it's still too far away (which, given the damage here, may work in your favor, ironically enough). large group shots are taken one of two ways and always in tiers. chairs shld have been brought out for the second row and even the third. or, you shoot it in a triangle fashion with the fewest folks in the front and stagger it out wider towards the back and always the tallest in the back.

sorry if i sound a bit testy on this one but i spent HOURS and HOURS cleaning up a 'professional' photographer's shots on a very large personal family reunion which was done very much like this one you posted. the shot and results were almost exactly the same. grrrr....!

you can also try a histogram adjustment on your image, along with all the other excellent suggestions here. it wont restore the blown out areas but can also help in re-balancing what is there. i looked at the histo on this and there is, naturally enough, a very LARGE spike on the right.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Okay Craig, at least you made me laugh a couple of times and, yes, the killing scenario already crossed my mind. The funny thing is she (my assist.) received a degree in photography a couple of years ago. Hmmmmm. Spooky.

I do have excellent closeup up shots of each person so I may try a very time intensive "Frankenstein" job on this one. You know, take different pieces & parts to make one good one.

I've already faced the music with the college on this. My philisophy is to let someone know in advance that you're working on it before they have a chance to scream at you. Doesn't always work that way but its a great theory.

Again, I'll let people know which way I went with this. And may include an end result to view. Maybe.
Lynell
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM

doesn't anyone bracket anymore?...or take more than one shot.

and where is your fill flash?...that's almost an impossible shot with no flash...dont be so quick to blame the assistant
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Okay Craig, at least you made me laugh a couple of times and, yes, the killing scenario already crossed my mind.
good

Quote:
I've already faced the music with the college on this. My philisophy is to let someone know in advance that you're working on it before they have a chance to scream at you. Doesn't always work that way but its a great theory
also good

yup, frankenstein is the way to go here if you hope to save things. you either plug in from what you have of the people or create a whole new composite.

and photo678,
Quote:
doesn't anyone bracket anymore?...or take more than one shot.

and where is your fill flash?
wouldnt those be the responsibility of the person taking the shots, in this case, the assistant?

lynell, i'm a little curious here; were these taken with a digital or a film type camera?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM

yeah, but i just dont think i would rely on the assistant to get that once in a lifetime type of shot...(photographers always blame the assistants for their mistakes ;-)

regardless, looks like the shot is front lit, no real way to shoot it without blowing something out...hence fill flash....and as the OP said, "fresh from school".

Anyway, the image that was posted is really too small to pull any details out at all, if the original was posted im sure there is a ton of info in the picture to be pulled, albeit a tedious job...but might be salvageable
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Patron

Ouch! Such a harsh lesson but I hope your assistant took this on board as an excelent learning experience. I have to admit I learn the most from my most monumental stuff ups... Oooooh Yeah!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 11:22 AM

Yes, the shots were taken digitally on my backup camera - a Nikon D70.

I didn't think I was necessarily saying "woe is me" and "oh, look what my incompetent assistant did" when I asked for some ideas on this. This forum has been great to follow in looking for different ways to approach problems that can bite a photographer in the a--. With the statement that I should not have let an assistant do this, had there not been a conflict in my shooting schedule I would have done it myself. Trust me, it would have saved me a whole lot of stress and frustration over this. And choosing between a once-in-a-lifetime reunion class photo and a once-in-a-lifetime wedding (okay, nowadays it doesn't happen just once) I felt that I needed to do the wedding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 PM

lynell,

it's ok and i find very little good reason for 'blame'. blame just gets in the way of getting things done. something got messed up. ok, we get mad at the assistant and then correct them and move on. you've got a messed up image. it needs fixing. so, no 'woe is me' or even sympathy for woe is me it's just a messed up pic that needs fixing. so, let's fix it.

the reason i asked about film or digital does go back to the assistant and correcting their actions, however. that's the reason i asked. every digital camera i've ever picked up has some sort of 'review/preview' mode where you can see in a little digital screen what has been taken. so, i'm surprised your assistant didnt review the shots before leaving. and i know the D70 has this. so, you might want to run this by your assistant also.

i'm very glad you contacted the folks at the reunion about the shots. that's being responsible and even though i'm sure they are disappointed, i'm also fairly sure they're glad you let them know as soon as possible and that you're going to try to salvage things.

so, i hope i didnt make you uncomfortable in any way with my teasing to 'shoot the assistant' or anything else. i always want folks to be able to come here and go 'help!' that's why i do what i do here. i dont always do it well or communicate it well but it is why i'm here doing this. and if it ever comes out any other way then i want to know about it.

also, if possible, could you post one of the good shots of one of the folks in the group and point out which one it is in the group? this might give some insight on what else you might be able to do here.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help