Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Overexposed "Must Have" photo

Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Craig -- not offended at all. If something can make me laugh out of this, bring it on!

Yes, the D70 has the preview and she told me (on a note) when she dropped it off that she didn't use it. I'm not criticizing or blaming my assistant, but why wouldn't you use it? I use auto preview on all my shots and have the highlights function on to make sure the whites are okay. While I don't use auto bracketing on my digitals, I take at least two shots with varied aperture. I tell my subjects they are "insurance shots" in case someone blinks, etc but they are primarily in case one doesn't turn out to be the correct exposure. I learned that years ago and I won't quit doing it that way.

As I stated somewhere earlier, each of these people is in another, smaller class photo. I'm attaching an example. Its just gonna take time and some manuevering to build the "all classes" shot.

What it all boils down to is, its my name on the studio and my butt on the line regardless of who took the shot so it does no good to bicker back & forth and I'm not gonna fight over that at this stage. My issue is getting it fixed the best I can. There is a whole different discussion that can go on about people who take pictures and then call themselves a photographer and I'll save that for a different discussion. Thanks for all the help & advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSC-Reunion_0092.jpg (87.0 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
if you can, post the full rez shot of the group....let us see whats in there info-wise..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Hi everybody,

welcome to RP!!

Great tips, here and, if you ever reconsider the 'execution' solution, ... as the 'Italian Connection' aboard, I might try to help organizing a fast and clean delivery!!!

Jokes aside, if the shot itself cannot be redone, unless required... I agree on the futility of a post-mortem on what can have gone wrong and who is to blame for it ....

That said, I don't think that, even after manipulation/correction, the picture posted will ever look 100% (too many details missing in the 'blown' highlights..) but, as Photo678 suggested, a full resolution version of the shot to work on might reserve pleasant surprises ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
flora, if you tell me you're from sicily, i'm definitely going to have to be more careful around you

lynell, i think you just posted your solution. those smaller shots are exactly what you need to either fix the larger, group shot, or to simply build one completely new.

it's still going to be a somewhat daunting task, so if you need a hand, let us know.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help