Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

waterfall blown out highlights

Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 AM

Gone overboard with my last attempt. Its fun trying. After l finished cloning an entirely different waterfall , lt dawned on me that l'd just painted in more highlight. This cloning is a difficult process. Yes Craig l think borrowing from another waterfall is the best idea , I live only 30 minutes from the Grampians and visit there often. Craig do you think some brushes do a clone better than others? .. Im waiting on Flora to do a tutorial on brushes. I really need help there. I find the brush topic needs more coverage. Retouches share their results generously but never think to include what brush they use. Are brushes important?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg over-flow.jpg (99.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by tell; 08-04-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 AM

yes, it can be fun

as for brushes and cloning, i almost always use the default brush. but then i'm using paint shop pro and really cant speak to photoshop that much. what i find i alter quite a bit is opacity, hardness and density, not the brush type. it's the opacity that kills most folks. most folks just starting out tend to go 100% opacity all over and that almost always leaves the dreaded 'clone marks'. and the other side is going too little, which then leaves the blur marks. so the trick is getting enough opacity to be convincing but without leaving clone marks or blurs.

on your picture my starting settings would be something like, default brush set at 60% hardness, brush size around 32, 100% density, round shape, and 80% opacity. by watching carefully where you are cloning from and where you are cloning to and keeping an eye on this always, you can sort of overlap and feather in your clones bit by bit. that would be for the worst areas. as i get the worst areas done i'll normally alter the opacity downwards by 20 or so until i get to around 40 or 30 and then drop it by smaller increments. i rarely change the hardness or density in cloning but sometimes you find an area where that may be wise.

i'll also use the airbrush tool to hide some of my marks at times and give a more finished look but that can be a bit dangerous also. there are lots of tricks one can use to help on this. if you do do a heavy clone on an area, sometimes you can do a very light gausian blur on the layer to get a better blending, often with a blend mode included. remember, you always clone on a separate blank layer.

if i had the software for it (and knew how to use it) or a video camera, i'd do a proper clone tutorial. this is one of those areas where it would be easier to teach by showing rather than telling. it's the tool that got me interested in retouching and restoration and it's an artform all by itself. in fact, there are paint programs that are pretty much paint by cloning.

so, the biggest key to all this is practice, practice and practice. i've spent hundreds of hours using the clone tool and i'm still not a master at it. an image like yours has some tricky challenges in it so dont be afraid to hit the undo or start over or wipe a layer or whatever. it's a complex image for cloning but also a very good picture and worth the effort.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2006, 07:29 PM
clone brush

Craig, good to hear your tips on the clone brush. I know its a good idea to use 100% hardness when using the healing brush. I make a habit of things and generally use a soft brush when cloning. I think l will try adding a little hardness to it, maybe even try a range of brushes. I find if l drop the clone brush opacity it makes for a erastzy (if thats a word), and poor quality clone. When using the patch tool l like to start the selection with the lasso tool, switch to the patch tool and ctl- to duplicate, move the object in place and with the ctrl key still down click the T key to change shape and transform, click enter to confirm the transform . Finally move the patch tool a smidge and it blends the patch with the surrounding shades. Usually when lm done l can have a rubber ball look like a Giovanni pizza and l throw the lot into the recycle bin... Tell.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help