RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to correct this photo ?

Old 08-13-2006, 07:15 AM

I like to keep things simple, as complex methods only lead to confusion

OK, here is a rough run through.
1. opened image in photoshop and ran auto adjustment
2. clicked on Channel view in pallet and selected blue channel to work on (but viewing all channels).
3/ used burn tool (27% exposure) on the blue foggy areas and this seemed to bring back some of the natural colours.
4/ Used burn tool (working on all channels) to darken remaining foggy areas.

Thats it. Quick n simple, just like me
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your explanation, chrishoggy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Did a few steps on this one.

Used the set black point on a levels adjust--choose some foreground foliage as the target and the bluish background foliage as the source. This is masked with a gradient as shown in the layer palette attachment.

Then duplicate, highpass filter radius 50, blend mode overlay (similar to sharpen, but gives a less harsh result)

Color balance adjust the yellows to -40 in the shadows

You're close at this point, but the distant background foliage is still too light. So create a silhouette as shown with selective color, make a copy and gaussian blur radius 30 (actually I think it might have been radius 50), then mask it with the inverse of the silhouette and set blend mode to multiply. (layer Blur 30/multiply).

Finally, create a color blend layer and paint using green colors sampled from foliage.

I attached the layers and final result.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean_fog.jpg (84.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg clean_fog_layers.jpg (47.4 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Hi,

great job everybody!!!

Since the shot was taken at 7 o'clock in the morning, I went for a balanced look without strong contrasts or golden sunlight ...

I used Shadow/Highlight twice for this ... first on the whole image, then on the top half only ...

I used the Levels on the people to enhance them a bit, and Selective Colors to adjust the colours.

I painted a soft sky following Swampy's excellent Tutorial, and finished by sharpening lightly with USM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_foggy.jpg (98.3 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM

Wow, thanks Bart, Flora. I'm amazed of such many ways to correct the photo.

One question, suppose I'd like to replace the sky with dramatic sky like Lonk did ( Lonk are you there ? ), what kind of method to seamlessly place the sky so some part of the sky are naturally placed behind the top of the trees. I don't think using layer mask will help, since I will have to brush over the trees through every detail of the leaves. Does creating the silhouette like Bart did will help ? or using channel masking ? I'm still on my way in learning channel mask, and it's kinda confusing for me at this moment If you have any suggestion of method instead of channel mask, pls let me know.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Hi again

Below is a total sky replacement... You will need to do some touchup because the trees are very transparent. I darkened the a green channel with levels then continued to paint with black and white to fill the majority of mask as needed. Then on the edges I used opacity, burn and dodge to refine.

After I used to mask to insert a new sky I opened a blank layer set to darken. Then I sampled green in the trees and darkened the edges of the trees and sky as needed.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foggy1.jpg (98.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 08-14-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine
Wow, thanks Bart, Flora. I'm amazed of such many ways to correct the photo.

One question, suppose I'd like to replace the sky with dramatic sky like Lonk did ( Lonk are you there ? ), what kind of method to seamlessly place the sky so some part of the sky are naturally placed behind the top of the trees. I don't think using layer mask will help, since I will have to brush over the trees through every detail of the leaves. Does creating the silhouette like Bart did will help ? or using channel masking ? I'm still on my way in learning channel mask, and it's kinda confusing for me at this moment If you have any suggestion of method instead of channel mask, pls let me know.

Thanks in advance
Yes, the silhouette I created could be a start towards creating what is known as an image-based mask and it's a good way to go when the object you are trying to mask is complex and has fringe areas with varying degrees of opacity where the object and background blend.

However, your picture is a very easy case because the sky and trees are so well contrasted and sharp. For this situation, I would go for the background eraser or the extract filter instead.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine
One question, suppose I'd like to replace the sky with dramatic sky like Lonk did ( Lonk are you there ? ), what kind of method...
Wolverine, I use the color range selection tool in PhotoImpact to make a mask which I enhance, then fill with a positioned replacement sky. I make that a separate layer that I can further manipulate if needed. I guess the process is pretty similar to the image-based masking that Bart described.

I usually don't go into much detail about my techniques 'cuz so few folks use PhotoImpact for this type of thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 06:01 AM

Lonk, thanks a lot for your kindness to explain your method.

Since I use PS I think I should try Bart's method combined with Butch's method as it easier for me to start.

Most of it, I'd like to thank you all who have guided me in this thread, I found it's really helpful for my further study of retouching arts.

Thanks everybody
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help