RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to correct this photo ?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:34 AM

How to correct this photo ?

I took this photo at about 7 o'clock in the morning. The sky is actually bright enough. But I'm afraid the result will a bit dark, so I use flashlight to take the picture. Well, I was wrong. I shouldn't use flashlight. The results, the upper portion of the photo looks like foggy. While the sky is also too bright. I looked to each channel, it seems the blue channel is damaged. But I don't know how to fix damaged channel.

I don't know what's your opinion. But I see there's two things to fix in this photo. The fog and the sky. What do you think ? Is there anything else ? Pls help me to correct the photo, and give me step by step explanation for my further study of PS.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foggy.jpg (85.2 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Patron

Fog Removal

Well this is not finished, but the photo varies in contrast and color throughout. I would recommend starting with a series of adjustment layers that have masks so you can limit the effect to the proper portions of your image. In the inclosed screen dump using photoshop, I used four stacked levels adjustment layers and added gradient masks.

Its better but still not corrected properly. The top and right still lack contrast and have a bluish tint. But perhaps this will get you started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start.jpg (57.5 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 AM

philbach, thanks for your reply. Well, at least the fog on lower portion is gone, and the color have been corrected. Thanks.

If anybody have other methods, I'd be glad to see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Hi there

I used a few curves adjustment layers to even the lighting as much as possible. The tops of the trees on the left were in bad shape and I could not get them to look good so I applied a clouds layer to continue the look of fog to blend them in.

I had already applied cyan to the sky with a selective color adjustment layer.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foggy.jpg (98.9 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM

It takes some massaging Wolverine, but it's certainly possible to improve this snapshot. I like dramatic skies, so I replaced the existing burned out sky. I didn't find the haze too difficult to adjust. I applied some level, curve and contrast adjustments to a fadeout layer. Some final tweaking and this is what I came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg defog.jpg (79.9 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM

I would crop this photo so that there is more emphasis on our main subjects. The advantage of this is that it also gets rid of a lot of the blown out sky. I liked Butch's idea of adding some misty clouds. Not only does it take care of the trees on the horizon but it also helps to vignette our couple.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early-Morning.jpg (99.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 12:30 AM

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted but I hope it's okay if I jump in and give this one a try. I use Photoshop CS2.

I duplicated the original (always - just in case!) and did shadow/highlight with advanced settings, bumping up the highlights about 2/3rds the way over, bumped down the color correction about 1/2 way and set the white point to 22. Then I duped that and ran shadow/highlights again, at similar settings and set that layer's opacity to 20% and masked out the faces (which were too dark without mask). Then I made a new layer with a light yellow painted over the faces, set it to Overlay and reduced it to about 20% opacity. Then I imported a sky and topped it off with a final levels adjustment layer to increase the contrast a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple_retouch.jpg (60.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Thumbs down

Butch, Lonnie, Syd, capriccio, big thanks for all your hard effort. I'm really amazed of how creative you are Especially Butch and Lonnie's cool trick Why I couldn't be creative like that This make me think, that in order to retouch some bad photo, doesn't mean that I should be obstinate to keep the originality of the images without any manipulation, because there always be some damage that could not be repaired while keeping the image unchanged
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 AM

Just used the burn tool on the blue channel and levels adjustment to give this result
Not 100%, but it's getting there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foggy2.jpg (97.6 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Cool ! simple but good result. can you explain more detail how to use burn tool on blue channel ? do you mean copy blue channel first ?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help