RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Watter could be a challenge some times. "-]

Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Watter could be a challenge some times. "-]

Hi,

I found this picture while looking for matterial to practice with my selections.
When I scanned I realized how it came out. It looks a little old and washed out. I also noticed how those little tiny squares are everywhere. I think the squares are part to the material that the page was made of.

While I found that selecting the watter was a challenge, I also found some other problems on the way. My goal is to practice at selecting the watter that is hitting around the face only, Though I am not sure it can be acomplished, I can give it a try.

I looked around the forums to see if there was anything related to watter and I did not find anything. I only found something on snow. I think this could help me start my practice. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splash.jpg (99.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg white.jpg (99.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 PM

The "little squares" are dot screen patterns or paper texture. A result of the picture having been scanned from a printed piece. Not as difficult to remove as moire, also a result of scanning a printed piece.

I did a smart sharpen on the origina to reduce the pattern problem to some degree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-splash.jpg (42.3 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM

I thought the squares were light reflections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
The "little squares" are dot screen patterns or paper texture. A result of the picture having been scanned from a printed piece. Not as difficult to remove as moire, also a result of scanning a printed piece.

I thought that is what it was. I think I just need to practice more how to get rid of them.

It seems that you did a couple of steps to get there. Could you list the steps so I can practice with them? If you don't mind of course! Also, any tutorial to get select or cut only the watter around them, not the background watter.
The results I get are very fuzzy and it still seems very boring.

Take care!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Patron

Textured Pattern

I agree with Swampy, the pattern is almost certain caused by textured paper. I ran an FFT filter on it to significantly attenuate it. BTW, you did a pretty good selection job.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donami Texture rev mm1.jpg (89.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 AM

Cool Watter in this case blends in with the background

Hi

I realized that is a little difficult to see the water and set it apart from the background. Some of the white spots are hard to see.
I keep trying to select them by selecting channels and levels but so far I am still spending time on it.
I will post whatever I get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 06:40 AM

I am no expert on this at all but have you tried the magic eraser tool you would have to adjust the tolerance ? just a thought

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 08:47 AM

You can also get a pretty good start on selecting the water by first drawing a selection around the water areas (see sample below) then use the Color range (Highlights) to select the whites of the water inside your selection. Copy the resulting selection to a new lay then mask the new layer and adjust the selection further. (For example, you will have picked up the highlight on the guy to the left's forehead so you can mask that out.)

Picking up individual droplets of water might really be hard in any case. This could well be a candidate for "reverse engineering" i.e. making a selection of everything that is NOT water then inverting that.

As for what I did in my first post. Just ran the smart sharpen filter in PSCS2 to reduce the paper texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (26.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help