Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Red Eye Tool

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Red Eye Tool

Going to post this one here. As you probably can tell I have been working on old pictures the past few days. Well this afternoon I needed to do some work on a few red eyes in some of the pictures we took on our trip.

Can someone tell me why when I go to fix some pics with the red eye problem when I do the correction it makes a big blue circle or blob on the eye. This does not happen all the time but just on some pictures. Thanks for any help on this one as well!! Neb
Decided to show what I mean!! Not the biggest file look closely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluecast.jpg (31.0 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Nebgranny

For me sometimes it works and sometimes not. I usually use another simple technique.

I go to the green channel and make a selection around the red areas. I then add a small feather 1 or 2 pixels.

Then I copy them to the clipboard.

I switch to the red channel and edit>paste... I do the same in the blue channel.

Works for me and does a better job of keeping catch lights and such.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Butch..I will try in the know I amstill struggling with learning photoshop and backed off for awhile. I just am getting back to it !! I more than likely will have questions for you !! Thanks for your posts back to me!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Neb, the red eye tool is just like some of the other auto adjust tools in PS. On some images they guess well, on others they make things worse. The red eye tool does seem to be somewhat particular to the size of the marquee which you draw. If it is too small, it will correct only part of the red area. If it is too large, it tends to offset where it makes its circle of correction. I recommend that you experiment with the size of area that you select. Sometimes you need to go considerably larger than the red area.
There are many ways to remove red eye in PS. Butch's method is both popular and effective. Other methods involve desaturation of the red but this often leaves unnatural looking "black holes".
For images where the iris is still distinguishable around the pupil restoring the color is a preferred method. This can be done by painting or selective color adjustments.
When brown eyes are involved, I like to remove the red and restore the brown which is a bit tricky since red is a key component of brown. For that task I find the Color Mixer is very useful. Attached is an example. You use the eliptical marquee to select the eye areas and do Image>Adjust>Channel Mixer. With the default channel on Red, reduce the red slider to 0; the green slider to 80; the blue slider to 20; and the Constant Slider at the bottom to +20.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redeye.jpg (93.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I have an animal and red eye remover action at

run the action, grab a white brush and pain it with the Levels layer if needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Hi Neb,

Easiest way I know to get rid of red eye quickly (providing its not a high definition picture with close up on eyes) is as follows.

New layer, set blend mode to colour, use soft paint brush and paint over red areas with black. You can blur with Gaussian Blur if edges are too hard, and reduce layer opacity to fine tune.

If it is a close up, then I'd use other more time consuming methods.

Borrowed Murrays pic just to illustrate. (2nd photo is just 1st with eyes painted out, not the one Murray posted).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redeye copy.jpg (85.4 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help