RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

remove yellow tint from shadow area

Old 08-30-2006, 02:30 PM

remove yellow tint from shadow area

I have a photo from Operation Photo Rescue and have selected the yellow tint with the color selector and placed it on it's own layer. Upon closer inspection, there is a yellow hue that I cannot seem to remove. Any suggestions I could try?
The color problem is in the face (nostril, side of nose, shadow from hair...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Patron

You could try a controlled Hue/Saturation adj, you could try a Selective Color Adjustment, you could use Advanced Blend If Layer Style, you could take the image into LAB mode and ground the B channel which will kill the yellow dead. And there are a bunch of other ways. If you post the image or a sample of it, you can probably get some specific advice to your problem.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 PM

how can I post just a sample of the layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 PM

How do I ground the B channel?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM

might try this too:

select the area>image>adjust>selective color>yellow channel>add blue
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Patron

LAB Curve

Michelle, in LAB color yellow is represented by the positive half of the B Curve. If true shades of yellow need to be removed, then locking down the Blue half of the B channel and flattening or "grounding" the top half will turn all of the yellows to white or black or grey depending on the lightness of the color. This is very useful for some situations depending on what you need to do to your image. Below is and example where 4 primary swatches are present. The curve which is applied affects only the yellow (here a medium yellow) which is neutralized (gray at the same luminosity) resulting in the 3rd image. The other colors are unaffected. If youy are still having trouble, you may want to post the image you are working on for additional suggestions.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michelle K 4 Color.jpg (36.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Michele K Curve.jpg (93.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Michele K No Yellow.jpg (39.5 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 PM

Here is a part of the face. As you can see, her nostril has a yellow hue I can't seem to get rid of. If I use LAB mode, how do I convert back to rgb?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Patron

Michelle, LAB is not the solution you want to use here. Here are two solutions of many; the 1st being very quick, the 2nd being more precise but a bit longer.

1. Choose the Eliptical Marquee tool and draw an oval shape encompassing the nostril and larger than your yellow area by approx 1/8". Then do Ctrl+Alt+D (or Select>Feather) and choose a value of about 3 or 4 pixels (you may need higher if you are working on an image of higher resolution).
Next Image>Adjust>Selective Color (Alt+I+A+S). When the dialog box comes up, select the yellow channel, then move the yellow slider to the left a little at a time until the yellow is gone.

2. Technique 2 is a Hue / Saturation adjustment Layer:
As above make an eliptical selection encompassing the nostril. Now from the button at the bottom of the layers palette, click on add new layer and select a Hue / Saturation. When the dialog box comes up, select the Yellows from the pull down menu. Move the lighten slider a small amount to the right to brighten the area just a little (my taste only), then move the Saturation slider to the left until the yellow disappears to your liking. Don't worry about the area around the nostril which has gone gray. Click OK.
Now with the Hue/Sat layer still active, select a small soft brush, color black, opacity aroung 20 - 30% and carefully paint over the areas around the noise which you did not want to be affected by the Hue/sat adjustment. As you paint you will gradually restor it to its original color while maintaining a smooth transition to the nostril. Attached are a couple of snap shots of this method.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michelle K snap 1.jpg (88.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Michelle K Yellow Hue Sat.jpg (92.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle K
Here is a part of the face. As you can see, her nostril has a yellow hue I can't seem to get rid of. If I use LAB mode, how do I convert back to rgb?
ohhh, if its that simple, just use the sponge tool set to desaturate, or the burn tool.

dont mess with lab if you dont have to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2006, 08:06 AM

Thank you so much Murray! I'll try that today. This poor photo has many problems. Perhaps you could help me with some other problems it may have.

After reading about the LAB... I did a bit of research on the web and found this plug in called Curvemeister. I was wondering what you thought of this application.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.
Michelle
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help