Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

tricky baby pic

Old 09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Baby Photo

Very cute child. I brought the image into LAB color where I blurred the A and B channles until the stains were gone. Then used a bit of burning to repair the damaged areas in the L channel. Then took the image back into RGB where I used mostly Hue / Saturation adjustment layers to shift and bring back some of the color.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coilte rev MM.jpg (97.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Kraellin
thanks, oltenius. i'd thank others as well, but one says 'you two' where there are 3 posts, so not sure i'm included in that
oltenius, it's a bit rough... lots of brownish shadowy areas.
craig, Thanks for the comment! but... Deliberate I wanted to keep this photo technique finding an artistically look!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 05:35 AM

like Ken I used the FFT Filter to remove the texture, then, I used 'Select > Color Range' to isolate the dark yellow spots and used Hue/Saturation and Levels Adjustment Layers on my selection to get it to match the original colour and brightness.

I used Levels to remove the overall yellow/reddish cast.

Heal Brush and Dust&Scratches to remove the blemishes.

Neat Image to remove the noise.

USM to lightly sharpen.

Great job everybody!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_scan59.jpg (98.7 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Baby Face

Hi Coilte. I first corrected the stain by using Replace Color and then using lab corrected the general color. I used a touch of surface blur to remove some of the texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby2.jpg (16.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 09:23 PM

when you used the color range, did you do all the areas in one swipe, or did you sample different areas one at a time and treat each separately?

excellent job!

and you too, phil. also excellent.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all of the great responses they were all very good. I really liked Flora's results so I tried to use Flora's method and just can't seem to get it. The FFT is no problem and making the selection with Color Range worked but any adjustment layers don't even come close to a satisfactory result. What settings for the Hue/Saturation layer did you use? If I can't figure it our maybe I'll fall back and try a different technique.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 AM

The more I looked at this one the more I realised there was no quick fix. It would have been perfect if the damage were confined to one channel and the luminosity extracted from one of the others but this wasn't the case. I tried some fancy stuff like using Apply Image to lighten the Blue and Green Channels but it never produced any semi decent results. In the end I used a variety of methods.

I prefer using a quick mask to select the damaged area. I find it more accurate and less time consuming than any of the other selection tools eg. the magic wand, color range etc.

Once selected I used Hue Saturation>yellows>lightness= as bright as it takes to get rid of most of that yellow. I then fine tuned this with Selective Colors>Reds and turned down the yellow or go to Yellows and turn down the black. Sometimes you have to just fiddle to see which one works. Sometimes the yellow is in the highlights and then you have to turn down the yellow in the whites. I am a bit of a messy worker and I tend to do a bit on the face here and then get distracted by something on the ear and add another layer and start cloning. My file sizes get huge and my layer palette is in a mess - not the best way to work. And when I like what I have done so far I usually Merge Visible or take a snapshot in the History Palette and then add more layers above that. I don't think anyone could make head or tail of my Psd files. Sometimes I have no idea what a particular layer is for myself and have to switch it on and off all the while looking for any minute changes in the picture to give me a clue as to what I was trying to do. Or I look at the blending modes...I know if it is Soft Light then that layer was probably Dodge and burn. I am not advocating this as an ideal workflow but it serves to demonstrate how chaotic an approach to tackling an image might get. There very rarely are any simple fixes and sometimes you just have to play around to see what method works.

Having sorted out the yellow I then used the clone brush. I usually have my clone brush set to about 15% and the blend mode to darken or lighten or color but very rarely to normal. I also use Soft Light layers and a very low opacity (3-5%), soft black brush to even out tones. I also use this to redefine the edges that tend to get blurred with low opacity cloning.

You will also have to paint in some colours. Open a new layer, blend mode to color, select a soft brush, sample surrounding color and paint away. Turn down the opacity of the layer and give it a gaussian blur if needed.

I also set the levels, ran it through Neat Image and used Unsharp Mask to sharpen. For some of the marks on the face I used Healing Brush. And I think that just about covers it. Hope you have fun working on it and I am sure you will learn a whole lot in the process.

Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cute-Baby.jpg (96.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Great job everybody!!!

thank you so much for your kindness!!!
Originally Posted by Kraellin
when you used the color range, did you do all the areas in one swipe, or did you sample different areas one at a time and treat each separately?
... Selection done in one swipe... Just kep the 'fuzziness' very low... Attachment 1

glad you liked my restoration!!

After running FFT, with the 'Color Range' selection active I created a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and tweaked Reds and Yellows only ... (values and result in Attachment 2)... well the values I used worked very well with size and resolution of the original picture you posted here, if you work at different resolution you might have to 'play' with those values....

After this, to remove the colour cast, I created a Level Adjustment Layer and set the 'Grey point' on one of the pupils ... Still working on the same Level A.L., I tweaked a bit Red and Blue as I wasn't completely satisfied by the result ... changed this A.L. Layer's Opacity to 80%. (Grey point position and result after this in Attachment 3 ...

Created 3 blank Layers on top:

1st blank layer's blending = Color > sampling colour from surrounding areas, using a very soft brush set to normal (Opacity 40-50%) I painted over the discoloured parts: corner of her eye, temple, background, etc.

2nd blank layer's blending = Lighten > used a medium-soft Healing brush set to normalto remove darker spots/blemishes and to blend in the darker edges of my correction ....

3rd blank layer's blending = Darken > used a medium-soft Healing brush set to normalto remove lighter spots/blemishes and to blend in the lighter edges of my correction ....
Result after this procedure in Attachment 4

You'll find a detailed description of the 'Blank Layer' technique in this Tutorial ... just scroll down to the 'Blank Layers set to...' paragraph...

After removing discolorations and a basic 'clean up, all depends on how much or how little you want to do to finish your restoration ....

Hope this helps...

P.S. ... Took me much longer to write it down than not to actually do it!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-141.jpg (51.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-142.jpg (66.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-144.jpg (66.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-145.jpg (90.9 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help