Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hair highlights

Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Hair highlights

HI ... I'm just trying to learn how to achieve this hair highlight effect... I know that there are many ways... But just want to know what is the best way....

Thank you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (37.6 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Try duplicating the original to a new layer and changing the blend mode to Color Burn or Linear burn. You may need to reduce the opacity, depending on the tone of the image. You can also add a level adjustment layer to tweak the contrast.
Others may come up with a better technique.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
or change the image mode to cmyk, create and play around with 'curves' adjustment layer, isolating the hair on the layer's mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys.. I use those or similar techniques all the time, but some times they just don't work... for example if the hair is too bright ...

I'm telling you this cause I have a lot of difficulties with hair highlits... and it's too much time consuming....

Anyway I'll try experiment a little bit more especially with the convert to CMYK method (never gave it a try)...

Thank you again... If any one have any other advice, I'm open to suggestions
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 07:01 PM
The really easy way is to just paint the hair in and use blend modes. You'll have a lot of control doing it that way.

For example, open a pic of someone's hair in ps, then sample its colour - if you wanted something which would be somewhat similar to the base colour of the person's hair, or, pick a totally different colour if you wanted something really bizarre-looking.

Add a new empty layer on top of all and change its blend mode to something like soft light, colour burn, or whatever it is you wanted to try (because you can always change its blend mode as you go along), then begin painting on the new layer. Change the blend mode to see what different blend modes will do with the paint you applied, and if you don't like the results, change the blend mode, and play with the opacity of the layer, or, delete the layer and start over again.

It's quick and easy.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help