RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Remove Highlights

Old 01-12-2002, 11:29 AM

That's a definite improvement, Jeanie - makes it look as if there is a light source just out of shot.

Maybe I've got low standards or something, but I don't think this looks too bad at all.

I see that Nik posted this photo some time ago and hasn't returned lately. So I guess we're too late to help him.

It was an interesting exercise, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 12:43 PM

Sam, I think your approach is the right way to go with this, removing the background, etc. It occurred to me that by taking it a step further by removing the highlights almost completely it could be made to look fairly decent, so I used your pic and removed the highlights and it looks ok.
My personaly beef is when people send me blown out pictures, usually taken outdoors, and the people in the picture are squinting, or there's some other evidence that, if the picture were to be somehow corrected, it wouldn't make sense. There would be something about it that was "off" even if a lay person couldn't quite identify it, they'd still know it was weird-looking.
I now realize the pic that Nik put up is fixable, and the strategy you used is the way to go.
It is an interesting problem for sure. I see this "what to do about highlights" issue come up a lot in ps newsgroups.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders2copy.jpg (39.1 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 02:12 PM

Wow, I think you guys all did a great job with this one and the results speak for themselves. Maybe you could let us all know your step by step processes since I know this one will come up often in our restoration careers.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 03:13 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Incredible results! Looks like the three of you need to go into business together!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2002, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
Wow, I think you guys all did a great job with this one and the results speak for themselves. Maybe you could let us all know your step by step processes since I know this one will come up often in our restoration careers.
DJ
Ageed! I'll put in a second for some details on the processes. Jeaniesa is right on ...and as far as the highlights that remain, it just looks like a studio shot taken with a misdirected 1000W open-faced fresnel intended for a back light that was left with the barn doors open. Not a bit uncommon when spotlights were the "in thing" for "hollywood" effects.

Digital retouching is new to us so I would have reverted to the "artist" suggestion and sold the customer on an oil that would end up with very much the same look. An overpainting could be done in less than 30 minutes and I am very interested in the time you allocate to jobs like this using the computer.

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 02:27 PM

Finished project

Sorry for not returning to see all these responses. Thank you for all the great suggestions. here is the final that the customer liked.

NIK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders4.jpg (68.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 02:44 PM

Thumbs down

Nik
Looks good. You really toned down that bright window and gave form to the little boys head and shoulder. It has a natural sun lit look but not overly blown out. The sky adds a real nice touch also. Great job.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 10:17 PM

All's well that ends well, I say!

Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help