RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Remove Highlights

Old 12-21-2001, 11:23 AM

Remove Highlights

The customer wants the highlights removed. The high grain of the photo makes it very difficult to clone. Plus there isn't much information in the blown out areas. When you start messing with light sources you end up fixing all the lighting aspects. He is happy with the clean up but not the highlights. Someone told him that it would be easy to copy and paste more wall behind the family and clone over the highlights. I just could not do it and acheive a sense of realism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head_close-up.jpg (25.3 KB, 151 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2001, 11:27 AM

more

here is the overall photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders1.jpg (25.6 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2001, 11:44 AM
Janitor

One way:

Duplicate layer. Use threshold to separate highlight from the rest of the image. Make a selection based on threshold image. Go back to original. Make appropriate adjustments (they'll only affect the highlight areas).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2001, 06:15 PM

Nik
This is another thread started with a similar problem. You might want to check that out too.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2002, 03:29 PM

Exclamation Threshold and then what?

"Make a selection based on threshold image. Go back to original. Make appropriate adjustments"

Using threshold is an easy way to select an area on an image, true, but once you have the selection, what "appropriate adjustments" can be made if there are no pixels to adjust. This image has lost pixel information as a result of a bad photograph. There are no "adjustments" which can be made using Photoshop filters or Image adjustment controls on a pixel-less area.

The restoration of these blown out areas need to be rendered by an artist, preferably working with a tablet, and then the image would have to have the film grain re-introduced using one or two different filters, but probably both. (Film Grain and Add Noise).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2002, 08:56 PM

I agree with you Pocoroba. This image and others like it are almost hopelessly lost. Making the selection via threshold or some other method is quite easy, but if there's nothing there, there's nothing there. The highlight in this picture is outrageous, but the typical viewer wouldn't really notice it because their mind is trained to expect it under the circumstances. So it's really not such a big deal. It's just a bad picture.
I get these types of pictures sent to me all the time asking for me to fix them. Really blown out pictures are the toughest and I don't think they can be done to most people's satisfaction. It reminds of a time someone sent me a picture of Wonder Woman and I was asked to take her top off... as if I could actually remove her top digitally and viola, there would be naked skin underneath.
No, I didn't remove her top.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2002, 11:30 PM

NIK -

I agree this is a toughie and the quality of the photo doesn't help you at all, but there is more information in that blank area than you might think.

I've played around with this - very quickly and not very carefully I might quickly point out! - but given a bit more time, I'm sure you could get a respectable result.

All I did was duplicate the original, and adjust the levels dramatically - when I did this, you could even see something through the window! Then played around with saturation, opacity, erasing, blurring and blending layers over and over again until there was some depth to that blank area.

Then I just cut out the family (not very well, I now see!) and cloned the background wall behind them, blurred and added film grain.

I didn't think the lighting aspect was too much of a problem here, as the light source could be from a high window that's out of the shot.

Good luck!

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders1.jpg (41.3 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 01:05 AM

Sam,
I tried the same thing you did, by cloning the wall in the back right and putting it over the window, but the lighting didn't make sense to me so I junked it. It's not completely unreasonable though, but not quite natural, at least to my eye.
The approach to paint in, or copy something from another file and put it in, then reconstruct their faces is a good way to go, something that Pocoroba was getting at. The optimal digital information in the blown out area, however, is this...

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders1copy.jpg (26.5 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 02:20 AM

Hmmm - not pretty!!

I agree there is not a heap you can do with this sort of photo, but I just thought there was something Nik could do that his client might be happy with, rather than trashing the job altogether.

Also, you and I are working on a small 72dpi image, whereas perhaps Nik's version is a much higher res, which would make life a lot easier!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 07:35 AM

Sam, I think you're on to something. I know there is information loss in the picture, but whatever you did definitely improved the picture. I think we all have to educate clients as to what is and is not possible. Mig mentioned the lighting not seeming natural with just cloning the wall, so I experimented with adding a spotlight coming in from the top left corner. Starting with Sam's version, I selected just the background, copied to its own layer and then added a floodlight. Reduced the opacity of the layer to about 40% & flattened. (Oh, and I fixed that ear a bit. ) It obviously doesn't provide any more information for the blown-out highlights, but it does make the lighting a little more "natural".

Just a thought. Yes, it's a bad photo, but I think if we can set client's expectations, we do have the ability to improve photos, and depending on how important a photo is to someone, even a small improvement may be helpful.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanders1a.jpg (44.8 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help