RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with Grandpa

Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 AM

Hi,

Nan,

welcome to RP!!

Good job! ... But I agree with Craig about the coat ...

I had worked on your image before realizing you use Paint Shop Pro ...

Don't know if explaining what I did in PS CS2 is going to help ... but here is my result...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Cowan_Original1.jpg (97.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Craig, I don't expect to ever get skilled enough at this to do it as a profession. Although I love it. I've spent the last 5 years creating graphics and I find that I like working on the photos much more.

Flora, you did a beautiful job on Grandpa. You got the shadows and highlights on his face just right. Did you do any airbrushing to achieve that? I also love the way you brought out the shape of his nose so clearly.
If there were any steps you did that could be done somehow in PSP I'd love to hear them. I keep dreaming of that healing brush that some of you have with PS.
Thanks for taking the time to give this one a go.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM

nan, get the upgrade from psp 8 to 10 and you'll get a similar tool to the 'heal' brush in ps. you'll get some other nice upgrades as well. psp's 'digital camera noise removal' tool is as good as any out there, for instance.

nice job, flora. i too like the face.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM

Thanks Cameraken! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 PM

Hi again Nan,

thank you so much for your kind feedback!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
I keep dreaming of that healing brush that some of you have with PS.
... It is indeed a wonderful Tool...

Well, here is what I did ... I hope you can 'translate' the steps for PSP ... Craig will surely help you ....

Attachment 1 is a snapshot of part of my workflow so it might be easier to see what I did..
  • To remove the yellow cast and add a bit of tone at the same time, I started creating two Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layers...without changing anything in them yet, I changed the mode of the first one to Color, leaving the top one to Normal ....

• Working first on the Normal Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer (Top), I decreased the Saturation to -100. (the image simply turns black&white).
    Working on the Color Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer (Middle), I tweaked Hue, Saturation and Lightness as in Attachment 2. This is one of the digidaan techniques for turning an image to B&W...

• After this, I created two blank Layers ** set to Lighten one and Darken the other ... Starting on the Lighten Layer, I selected a semi-soft Heal Brush (Normal Mode) and sampling from lighter surrounding areas, I 'healed' away the dark spots .... Did the opposite procedure on the Darken Layer.. (sampling from darker surrounding areas, I 'healed' away the light spots). My result after these procedure: (Attachment 3)

• Merged visible, used the Patch Tool to remove the bigger spots (same family as the Healing Brush .. ). Duplicated the 'patched' Layer and run Dust&Scratches on the duplicate to remove the remaining noise, small scratches, etc. in selected parts of the image ... (that's why there is a Layer Mask attached...)

• Merged visible again, duplicated the merged Layer and, for a balanced increase of contrast, I run the Shadow/Highlight adjustment ... (another incredibly useful Tool available from PS CS upwards..)

• Now, I had a well balanced nearly noise-free image ... the only thing that bothered me was the still darker lower part of your Grandpa's face, so, I loosely selected it, strongly feathered the selection, and run a Levels Adjustment Layer to brighten up that part only ... (My result after this: (Attachment 4).

• After this it's a matter of how much or how little you wish to do to finish your restoration....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
You got the shadows and highlights on his face just right. Did you do any airbrushing to achieve that? I also love the way you brought out the shape of his nose so clearly.
To enhance shadows and highlights on your Grandpa's face, the shape of his nose and to generally enhance the 3-dimensional feeling, I used several Blank Layers set to: Lighten, Darken, Soft Light and Overlay .. **

** You'll find the Blank Layers Technique in this Tutorial... Just scroll down the page to the "BLANK/EMPTY LAYERS SET TO....." paragraph.

Hope this helps a bit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-159.jpg (57.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-160.jpg (87.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-161.jpg (27.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-162.jpg (26.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM

Flora, thank you for taking the time to write out all of your steps. I'll see which ones I can duplicate in PSP. I already use blank layers all the time for my graphics. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it on the photos. I guess I've been thinking there is a different correct way of doing a restore but whatever works.

Craig, when you said the clone marks were easy to fix, did you mean by more, lower opacity cloning?
Sorry for so many questions.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Craig, when you said the clone marks were easy to fix, did you mean by more, lower opacity cloning?
yes. either that or simply do those areas over from scratch. you can sometimes get away with a light smudge to get rid of clone marks but i prefer not to in most cases.

in psp, i think starting with version 9, you have the 'makeover' tool. i believe this is similar to the 'heal' tool in ps. it's 2 concentric rings with a crossover mark in the middle. the inner ring is the area that will be altered and the outer ring is what is used to supplant the data in the inner ring. so, it's a sort of specialized clone. this is also fairly good at getting rid of clone marks and is sometimes more useful than clone on small areas. you can change the 'size' and 'strength' (opacity) of the tool.

there are a lot of tricks/techniques you can use with cloning. flora keeps bugging me to write a tutorial on it and i did write up a rather lengthy piece in another thread. if you can find that it may help. it was learning the clone tool that got me to thinking i could do restorations. so, it's a valuable and powerful tool.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 PM

Hi Nan.

I thought you may be interested to see this. I was trying to find a better way to repair this image and finished up writing a filter to help with the repair of this type of damage.

The filter is here
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/1149.html

The attached image is the result of running this filter only. No other repairs have been made. It is still not perfect but it has removed a lot of the dark spots without sacrificing much detail.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Cowan_Original_CR.jpg (99.0 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 AM

Hi,

Nan,

you are welcome... .... sorry it didn't help much ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
......whatever works.
.... In my opinion, that's the only 'correct' way ...

Craig, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
flora keeps bugging me to write a tutorial on it and i did write up a rather lengthy piece in another thread.
... ... and I won't give up that easily!!! ... Anyway ... the 'lenghty piece' you wrote is in this Thread.. (on page 2 too..) ... and I still think it would be such a pity if it were 'lost/buried' as the number of Threads and Posts increases...

Ken,

Great job for both... the Crack Remover and its application!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks Craig. I will be working on the cloning skills for sure. You've been a great help on this.

Ken, very impressive filter. It really cleaned the photo up. I wouldn't be able to use it at this point since I'm still using Windows 98.

Flora, you were very kind and helpful and I pay close attention to all of your methods. Thank you also for sending the link to Craig's cloning thread. I had looked and couldn't find it. I have it saved now and will be referring back to it as I go along. Great information.
You REALLY should write a tutorial Craig. That way it will be where everyone can find it!

Thanks again to all of you.
Nan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help