RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with Grandpa

Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM

Help with Grandpa

Hi,
I'm new here and trying to learn to restore photos. I inherited many old ones when my mom passed away last year and there are some that are in bad shape. I can do simple repairs using just clone and smudge but would like to learn to things that would work better on some of them. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 8 and although I know what masks are and what they do, I have not been able to find a tutorial that will take me step by step on a photo restoration that masking would be the appropriate method to use. When I try to remove spots or stains there always seems to be something missing in the steps and I just can't get it.
I'm attaching the link to my Great Great Grandpa's photo. Could any of you tell me what you would do to restore this? I've worked on it and was able to get the face looking pretty good but the suit is another story. I don't know where to start with it.
Any help would be appreciatee.
Nan
www.designs-by-nan.com/FamilyPhotos.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 PM

Hi Nan

Welcome to Retouch Pro.

What I have done is by no means perfect. But it may give you some ideas

Levels Adjusted
Created a layer using a mix of blue and green channels
Polaroid Dust and Scratches set to Dark with Retouchers mask
Polaroid Dust and Scratches set to Light with Retouchers mask
Blank layers set to
Sharpened
Added the sepia back

Please ask if you need more info
With a little more care and time you should get a very good restoration from this.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Cowan_Original.jpg (95.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 PM

Cameraken

>Created a layer using a mix of blue and green channels

Can you explain how you do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 AM

I am new to photo retouching. Saw the picture on Grandpa, so decided to give it a try. Have no idea as to the quality of the work. Used Photoshop CS2, did a lot of the work on the face using the spot healing brush and the patch tool. Some cloning and use of the healing brush.

Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowan_small img..jpg (53.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 AM

Hi Swampy.

After adjusting the levels of the RGB channels individually I noticed that the Blue channel contained the most detail but that the green channel was cleaner.
I copied the blue channel to a layer and then copied the green channel to a layer above and set its blending mode to darken. I then cloned out the remaining creases.

Green Channel Layer > Blending mode Darken
Blue Channel Layer > Blending mode Normal

From there I used Polaroid Dust and Scratches.

I hope that explains.

Hi Dudley
Welcome to Retouch Pro
That’s a very nice restoration for a 'newbie'
The only thing that looks wrong is the dark ‘shadow’ at the right side of his head. It just needs blending in a little more. Great job on the skin and jacket.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 12:15 PM

hi nan and welcome to RP.

not an easy task, this one. it would be very difficult to give you the exact steps here... there were a LOT. but basically, it's a LOT of clone and airbrush. added in there also was a selection of part of the coat that i saved off as a separate image (not a layer) and then mirrored and pasted back on in other places to rebuild the coat. i also desaturated using hue/sat adjustment layers. and near the beginning i think i remember using a clarify filter to bring out the contrasts more. near the end i also used a 'digital camera noise removal'.

this is NOT an easy image and certainly more could have been done. when you start out doing restorations, on each restore you have to somewhat decide just how picky you're going to be. do you do a quickie for printing or a Sistine Chapel, months long, full restore. for us here on RP we tend to do rather quick work to help others and to learn ourselves. this is an image, with that coat in particular, that could take quite a while. so, decide what you want and what you'll be happy with and shoot for that.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowan_Original-1-k-1e.jpg (96.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 PM

I'm in awe of what you were all able to accomplish. Craig, you did an amazing job on the coat and you got his hair looking right too. I wasn't sure what was going on with in the original. I decided to give up on the coat and just darkened it. For the face I still did smudge and clone. Also made a curves layer, added some noise and a new background and fixed his missing mustache on the right.
Thanks for all the help. Here's my finished version along with the original. You can tell I'm new at this for sure.
www.designs-by-nan.com/FamilyPhotos.html
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM

nan, thank you

nice job on the face and hair! but i think you shld go a bit more on the coat give it another shot. even if you only cloned out some of those dark spots on the current one, it would be better. and you may be new to this but you did a very nice job. a bit of clone marks here and there, but that's easy to fix. i see you treated that one mark on his collar as a stick pin. interesting; i'll have to take another look at that. you may be right.

the other thing that i was a bit uncertain of in this one, was older folks often have 'liver spots' on their skin and all those black spots on his face gave me pause. i ended up somewhat compromising by leaving more 'texture' than i might normally.

fun stuff, isnt it

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 PM

Thanks Craig. I'll give the coat another shot when my vision returns to normal from this time! You're right, there are still some clone marks that should be fixed but yes, I'm sure he did have liver spots. It would be hard to tell them from the damage though. I believe he was freckled also as others in the family were. I'm sure the mark on his shirt was a button. I should have spent more time on that area too.
Thanks for taking a look and for the tips.
It is fun but frustrating.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he did have liver spots. It would be hard to tell them from the damage though. I believe he was freckled also as others in the family were.
lol. liver spots AND freckles! sheesh. was he walking outdoors and spattered with mud too? you really pick the easy ones, dont you

yes, i looked again and i believe you're right; it is a pin. good catch.

yes, can be quite frustrating. the tendency is to want to restore it to perfection. the reality is, where that might be possible, there are other mitigating considerations and circumstances often, which is why i said in my earlier post you kind of have to decide beforehand just how good you want to make it based on those other considerations and circumstances: client doesnt want to spend that much; you're swamped with other jobs and must move on; it's going to be printed and printer isnt going to print that high a resolution anyways (this is the one i usually run into); 'i'm not good enough' (NEVER listen to those!); and other such things. so, the trick is to get good enough to cover most circumstances. it's very rare that you'll be called on to do a 'mona lisa, cistine chapel' restore. it would be nice to be that good but your bread and butter, if you're going to do this professionally, comes from something quite a bit less than that. so, do as good a job as is warranted by the legitimate circumstances and you'll be fine.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help