RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Red 35mm Slide - How to Color Correct?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Great works bravo. Cameraken & Flora. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thumbs down

Excellent work, Flora! That was a nasty image indeed.

Just for fun I tried several major color-correction plug-ins (1-click as well as slider types) and couldn't get close to what you did manually with most of them . The best I could do was with Color Washer, followed by slight refinements in iCorrect Edit Lab.

Advantages: Much faster--a few clicks and slider adjustments.

Disadvantages: You have to buy extra stuff...

It's the eternal choice when editing images (either speed or savings).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorwasher.jpg (71.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg icorrect.jpg (57.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 AM

Flora,
That was amazingly, breathtakingly stunning!!

--
Pam
http://www.pbase.com/pam_r
'art is working on something 'til you like it...then leaving it that way'
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 AM

Good work all.... Flora I don't know how you keep track of all your steps.

I know for my version I used shadow/highlights on the red channel copy and replaced both green and blue channels.

From there I used mostly Hue/saturation and curves adjustments. I did not have much luck with selective color.

I did I think get it at least acceptable but could not list my steps.... I went back and forth too much.

Sure would be nice to know the true color of the couch... notice how every rendition has a different hue. If a retoucher knew at least one color for sure I think it would be easier to correct.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red35mmSlide.jpg (96.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 09-21-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 02:43 AM

WOW... thanks everybody!!!

Murray,

thank you so much for your kindest comment ... actually I'm a bloodhound ... meaning ... I don't let go until I get a result I can accept, or I completely lose the 'scent' ...

ahmetturker,

If I haven't done it yet, welcome to RP!!

thank you so much for your kind feedback!!!

plugsnpixels,

thank you so much for your kindness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels

Advantages: Much faster--a few clicks and slider adjustments.

Disadvantages: You have to buy extra stuff...

It's the eternal choice when editing images (either speed or savings).
... Right!!!
Personally, I have very few extra plug-ins ... I enjoy trying to find ways with PS which, in my opinion, is still the "Ferrari" for image manipulation ...(I'll probably get shot for this.. ) ... But PS is only a hobby for me, so, I'm never under time pressure when I work with it ... I'm sure that if I were a professional restorer/retoucher, I'd probably appreciate speed...

Pam,

thank you so much for your kindest comment!!!

Butch,

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
Flora I don't know how you keep track of all your steps.
.... Well ... in this case it was just 3 of them... ... Kidding aside, I simply keep them all ... meaning:
  • Instead of applying the corrections directly to the Layer, I work with Adjustment Layers .. this way, I can always go back (step by step) not only to change things, but also to check what I tweaked in a particular AL (Levels, Curves, etc.) and which values I used or changed...

• I always Merge Layers by making sure I've activated the topmost visible Layer and keeping the ALT key pressed while 'Merging Visible' .... this procedure creates a new Layer containing all the corrections done so far on top of all the other Layers without 'flattening' the image ... that means that I can go back to each step I took before merging...
This keeps me from asking myself: how on earth did I do that?? ... and allows me to give detailed explanations (including snapshots) of each step I took working on a picture even if asked weeks after having posted it...

Were it not for these procedures, (you need a very large HD for this..) I couldn't remember a thing ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 AM

Hi Flora Great job.

I had another go at this, using Lab. The noise is easier to eliminate by blurring the a and b channels but the sofa comes out fawn (very similar to PlugsandPixels image.)

Re. the woman in the picture.
It is unusual to see Her without her crown.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Thank you so much Ken!

I'm going to try the LAB way too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Re. the woman in the picture.
It is unusual to see Her without her crown.
...My very first thought when I could see her clearly!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Wow! What an overwhelming response! Thanks to everyone so very much for trying to help me out.

Flora - Your attempt is fantastic! Let me see if I can figure out how to replicate your steps. Thanks for being so detailed in your description. I will work on this tonight and post back here my best attempt.

And I apologize for the small attachment size in my original post. I brought the original image with me to work when I made this post, and I had to resort to Microsoft Photo Editor for the resizing. I have attached a much larger file if anyone would like retry with a better image.

Thanks again to everyone. I will post my finished image later on.

Oh, and as for the color of the couch, I may be able to find that out soon. I have already scanned another slide of people on the same couch that did not have the color damage. There were so many people sitting on the couch though, that I couldn't see any of it. So I'm hoping I will come across another slide of the couch to get the real color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red35mmSlide.jpg (97.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by lamboe80; 09-21-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 PM

Re: Red 35mm Slide - How to Color Correct?

Flora,

I have tried more than once to duplicate your steps to get to your final image, but I haven't been able to get an 'acceptable' image as you have. I am wondering if I am doing this step correctly, as steps 2 and 3 are pretty self explanatory:

Quote:
1* Duplicated the Red Channel, run Levels on the duplicate to improve tone and contrast a bit, copied it and pasted it on the damaged Green Channel. (Attachment 1)
I duplicated the channel and ran Levels. Then I did Ctrl+A to select the "Red Copy" channel, Ctrl+C to copy it. Then I selected the Green channel, and hit Ctrl+V. Is this correct? If so, how else could I be messing this up?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Re: Red 35mm Slide - How to Color Correct?

Hi lamboe80,

thank you so much for your kindness!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboe80
I duplicated the channel and ran Levels. Then I did Ctrl+A to select the "Red Copy" channel, Ctrl+C to copy it. Then I selected the Green channel, and hit Ctrl+V. Is this correct? If so, how else could I be messing this up?
This is absolutely correct and after this first step, your image should be a strong 'greenish yellow... Back to the Composite view (RGB) and to the Layers, after running the Levels on composite RGB and Blue you should get the 'horror' I got (3rd Attachment on my first post) ... but I guess you are working on the full size/resolution image... so the values I used for the image posted might have to be changed get the same/a similar result...

After reading your post, I downloaded the bigger sized image and used exactly the same steps as for the small one ... only adapting the tweaking to the new size/resolution...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Red35mmSlide_L.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help