RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help - Eyebrow

Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Help - Eyebrow

Here is the photo I started out with: Mike & Jen - Original

I made some changes in Photoshop:
-Used the Dodge tool to whiten my teeth
-Used the clone tool to get rid of blemishes and tiny strands of hair on my forehead
-Used the Liquify tool to slim and shape my eyebrows

Here is my new image: Mike & Jen - Fixed

The right eyebrow turned out great, IMO. The left eyebrow looks a little messed up, though. I tried copying & pasting the right eyebrow on a new layer, then using the free transform tool to flip it and paste it on the left-hand side, but it didn't work too well. Does anyone think they can have success with this?

Also, I have no idea why, but whenever I open a picture in Photoshop and resave it, the redness/coloration changes drastically. If you compare the original to the modified, you'll see how much redder everything is - the light, my pink polo, lips, etc. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jen

Last edited by Sobe203; 09-21-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Red

Selective color, down the magenta in red
Her skin looks funny.... I'll try patch tool
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Awork.

Hayat güzeldir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikejennewyk7 1.jpg (66.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg mikejennewyk7.JPG (72.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by ahmetturker; 09-22-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Patron

Eyebrow

Well initially I used a levels adjustment layer to lighten up the right half of the picture where Jen is (you are I guess). Next I used the patch tool on Jen's right forehead which seemed to work well.

Next I used a soft focus technique as described in Katrin Eisman's third edition.

Copy the layer using screen blending mode and blur it at around ten.
Copy that layer and use multiply blending mode and about 80% opacity.
I selected both of these two layers (photoshop cs2) and selected new group from layers.
To the group I just made, I added a black mask and then painted in the blurring on the mask with a white brush.

I sharpened some around the eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenny.jpg (28.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 AM

levels adjustment, then I cloned out the original eyebrow, copied the other eyebrow, which I flipped horizontal and then adjusted using free transform. Reduced the saturation a bit, but kept warm looking. The colour shift thing sounds like a calibration/selected colour management/colour space issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikejennewyk7 copy.jpg (79.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-22-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM

Hope this helps. Tried to keep it as natural looking as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg originalmikejenyx5.jpg (98.2 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 11:18 AM

Hi,

Jen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe203
The right eyebrow turned out great, IMO. The left eyebrow looks a little messed up, though. I tried copying & pasting the right eyebrow on a new layer, then using the free transform tool to flip it and paste it on the left-hand side, but it didn't work too well. Does anyone think they can have success with this?
...After flipping and moving the eyebrow, you should try to 'adapt' it to the left eye.. You can use:
  • either the transform options of your 'Move' Tool (becomes available when the 'Show transform Controls' option is checked... Attachment 2) and if you click on the 'centre cursor' the 'Warp' Mode becomes available too.. (Attachment 3)

• or the Transfrom Tool = Edit>Free Transform (the easiest way is to simply press Ctrl+T)

That's exactly what I did with you eyebrow...
I used Hue/Saturation and Selective Colors to correct the colours and Levels (applied to loose selections) to improve tone and contrast ... particularly on you since I wanted to make you stand out a bit more..
Same goes for sharpening ... obviously the camera was more focused on the young man and he barely needed any sharpening..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe203
Also, I have no idea why, but whenever I open a picture in Photoshop and resave it, the redness/coloration changes drastically. If you compare the original to the modified, you'll see how much redder everything is - the light, my pink polo, lips, etc. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?
... Your original image comes in .PNG format (which doesn't allow you to change/embed other ICC Profile upon saving) with an embedded LCD Color Profile ... which, obviously, contains more red and magenta than your PS Working Space.. (default sRGB IEC61966-2.1) ...

If this is the case, on opening the image in PS, you should get an 'Embedded Profile Mismatch' Warning (Attachment 4) on which you should check the option 'Convert Document's Colors to the Working Space' ... (more like it..isn't it??) ... and, after working on it, save it in .JPG Format which will give you the option to embed your ICC Profile.. (Attachment 5)

... Hope this helps..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_originalmikejenyx5a.jpg (98.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-168.jpg (56.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-169.jpg (56.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-171.jpg (59.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-172.jpg (86.1 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for teaching me more. Everyone's images look so good; I'm going to try it on more photos

Jen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help