RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Darned shadows! Please help....

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 PM

Thumbs down Re: Darned shadows! Please help....

Thanks, Gary!

I never once thought to reduce the opacity of the clone stamp, so thanks for the extra tip!

I really tried hard on the poor guy's upper lip, but found that I lost too much of his mouth. Reducing the opacity will help with that, so cheers.

I also bought a Wacom tablet a couple of days ago, so I know that will help, also. It's a wee bit tricky to get used to at first, but now that I'm starting to get the hang of it, I know I'll be able to improve on my efforts to date.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 AM

Re: Darned shadows! Please help....

You're welcome, have fun with your new tablet, once you've got used to it you'll never look at a mouse again (at least not for photo work).

Have a good weekend yourself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM

This one looked quite challenging to me. Thought I'd try. Most of the time I'm pretty successful to lighten things up using Screen layer mode. That's what I did here. Actually used three Screen layers, merged them and used the resulting real light layer for all shadows. Of course, there where a few further adjustments, such as sharpening, contrast enhancement, color correction.

One reason why I'm posting this is, that I also wanted to figure out how the attachment would work. I think I got it.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shadows-1.jpg (98.5 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Re: Bad shadows

Truth is, this is a color correction problem. You have skin tone that is in the sun, which is the desired tone, and you have skin tone in shadow that you wish to match to the sunny tones. The problem is, how to mask off the areas that you wish to change.

I'm just showing the process using his face. It's possible that multiple areas might need to be addressed, at least dealing with his skin and hers, as they are not the same hue.

A couple of color samplers makes it a snap to see how far you need to go. Sampling the left side of his face (his right) I used the tones that seemed to be median range, neither natural shadows nor sun-blasted. I sampled above and below the shadow line and got this:

Above: R156, G109, B93
Below: R62, G49, B65

I set a curve adjustment layer, and for each channel, I set a midpoint, and entered the above numbers in the input and output boxes. For example, in the red channel, I entered 62 in the input box and 156 in the output. Fill the mask with black and then use the same technique that you would use for a Dodge/Burn layer: small strokes, low opacity, building the effect as you go, painting white into the mask wherever you wish to diminish a shadow. I used a 10 pixel brush initially, then increased to 40 pixels to lighten the overall area.

The beauty of using curves like this is that you're not just attacking a single color, you're adjusting an entire range. Unless the shift is truly extreme, the curves distribute the alteration over the light and dark areas appropriately. You just need to trust your eyes.

I've included before, after, and the mask used.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/shadows.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Thumbs down Re: Darned shadows! Please help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen D
This one looked quite challenging to me. Thought I'd try. Most of the time I'm pretty successful to lighten things up using Screen layer mode. That's what I did here. Actually used three Screen layers, merged them and used the resulting real light layer for all shadows. Of course, there where a few further adjustments, such as sharpening, contrast enhancement, color correction.

One reason why I'm posting this is, that I also wanted to figure out how the attachment would work. I think I got it.

Juergen

Hey, thanks for giving it a go. And looks like you got the attachments thing working alright, too.

Looks good.

Oh hey, Juergen! Welcome to RetouchPro, by the way.

Last edited by pepperspray; 10-23-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Hi edgework,

I've only just started to really play with curves, as they kinda frighten me a bit. Sometimes I mess around with them and get great results, and sometimes...well....not so good.

I've read about 'doing it by the numbers', but haven't actually used it yet, as I've only seen it in reference and not as instruction. So, thanks, I think I'm understanding it a bit more and will give it a go on other images.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperspray
Hey, thanks for giving it a go. And looks like you got the attachments thing working alright, too.

Looks good.
Thank you, pepperspray, I appreciate it.
I actually reworked the image some more and here is the (hopefully ) last version.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shadows1.jpg (98.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 PM

Flora,

The improved image are so impressive. You not only removed shodow but also enhanced the overall contrast and tone. Can you explain the steps how you got this result ?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help