RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Removing texture from scanned image: It's Sunday 11:45pm and I've tried all day long!

Old 10-09-2006, 01:58 AM

Removing texture from scanned image: It's Sunday 11:45pm and I've tried all day long!

Hi!
I got this picture from a person who wants an enlargement from the picture of his Twins that I don't know exactly what happen to them...
But I tried to remove the 'Paper Texture' with the Tutorial from Mr. ByRO [here] and I have installed the Plugins for the FFT Fourier FX... But I tried 4 ttimes today and everytime my Computer got freeze [I know many will think that my Computer has issues or it needs maintenance, but I'm technician ] So can you please run the FX on the pic? cause it took me all day long and my head is about to explode... even I have ready the onOne's plugin for the enlargement, besides I will retouch it and adjust it... I would appreciate it, cause I don't have too much time...
http://www.arcadia.progvisual.com/twins.jpg

THANKS!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 AM

Re: Sunday 11:45pm... All day long!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a size limitation exists for the FFT filter. Byro's quick degrunge technique (found in tutorials) should assist with removal of texture, just quickly done to show difference

PS: My machine hangs too when I try and run FFT on this pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot003 copy.jpg (71.6 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 AM

Re: Sunday 11:45pm... All day long!

The image size it showing 4.4 X 5.9 inches @ 1000 PPI. Rescan at 300-400 PPI or resize the file you have down to 300 PPI. It should then be small enough to run FFT
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Patron

Re: Removing texture from scanned image: It's Sunday 11:45pm and I've tried all day long!

Arcadhia, you might want to try Image Analyzer to apply an FFT filter to your image. It is free, is a lot more powerful than the one you are using, and it will handle larger images. I ran it on your image producing the 2nd attachment below. You will still need to lower the resolution of you image to 300 dpi unless you want to reallocate a large amount of memory for Image Analyzer to run in. And you will also need to straighten your image before running the filter.
All that being stated, I also used a noise filter on your image (Noiseware) on your image and got better results more quickly (attachment 1).
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcadhia twins Image Analyzer.jpg (91.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Arcadhia twins Noiseware.jpg (87.3 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 12:49 PM

Re: Removing texture from scanned image: It's Sunday 11:45pm and I've tried all day long!

have you tried using "descreen" while scannin?...sometimes that is more than enough to take care of minor texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 PM

Re: Removing texture from scanned image: It's Sunday 11:45pm and I've tried all day l

Thanks! I hope that's enough...
I scanned the picture 600 dpi, cause they want to enlarge the picture... maybe 17x11...
Thanks for your help! [I always said that this is the most helpful community]
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM

Like Mistermonday I have found image analyzer to be the eaiest way. I have on occasion had success with FFT in PS but it is a tricky tool to deal with. I would love to see it updates with a better user interface in PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Hi Arcadhia

I used the same procedure as Murray... I think you will end up having more problems with the fingerprints than the moiré.

You will need to lighten the shadows and that will bring them out... If it were me I would clean the picture then rescan.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1PxjNgYv9DNb3uawNZxh7KHvvnZ.jpg (95.9 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help