RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Request critique of restoration

Old 01-30-2002, 08:05 PM

You may be right about the hair, CJ. I am a redhead who is old enough to have some of my childhood pictures in black and white. Red hair has a different look in black and white than blond or light brown and I would have guessed this girls hair to be blond. I like the skin color - it gives this picture a porcelain look.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:09 PM

I think you did a fabulous job.

One thing: If you look at the hairline on the forehead, it looks like the "blonde" didn't quite make it down all the way - I've circled it in the attached clip (which I forgot to attach, and the forum editing software doesn't seem to want to let me attach now - see next message).

Pretty minor issue, though.

I have to say, what a strikingly beautiful image you have there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Here's the area I was talking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hairline.jpg (3.6 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 09:01 PM

I think you did a superb job at restoring and still maintaining the feel and look of the original, which is what a good restoration is supposed to do. All too often you see restorations that are overdone, in that they begin to lose the inherent nature of the original. I know I have been guilty of that!

I agree with Sharon in regards to not being crazy about the black frame. It just seems too harsh for the delicate, soft look of the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 01:56 AM

First I agree that the hair was not quite right (Ed, CJ Sharon). I desaturated it about -10. Same for the color of the lips (if I'd known that ahead of time I could have saved the time to put them on seperate layers). I don't think toning down the colors did much to bring up the contrast in her skin and dress. Maybe I didn't go far enough?

I also tried Vikki's suggestion of painting in the eyes using multiply blending. I couldn't get the color quite right, but it is more subtle, and maybe a bit more lifelike. BTW, Vikki the other colors were part of the original, and all I did was adjust them using curves and hue/saturation.

CJ, I can't tell how much the colors may have aged, but I don't think they have shifted much. I know that the girl did have blonde hair... as far as the cyan cast, I used curves to get the porcelain background to neutral white, and left the skin tones where they fell. I didn't try to adjust them. I did try now, and simply rebalancing to get a neutral gray in the cheek does not give a pleasant tone overall. I prefer the look with the extra cyan.

PHI, I was a bit torn about what to do about the un-colorized hair. That area was missed by the original artist, and I wasn't sure if I should stay strictly true to the original and leave it, or if I should try to "fix" what had been missed. In the end I went both ways, leaving the hair as in the original, and adding blue to the eyes.

I changed the frame to one I lifted from one of my Ambrotypes. I think it is better than the black, but not quite right either. I am not sure what would be right. I wish I knew how it had originally been mounted.

Which brings me to DJ's comments. The original piece looks like either albumin or collodion on porcelain (instead of the usual paper) the date makes it impossible to know exactly what materials were used (~1902). The porcelain is quite crudely chipped into an oval, so I don't know if that was even its original shape. I have never seen information on anything like this. I've learned recently that nearly all these materials benefit from storage at cool (<65degrees) temperatures with relative humidity between 30 and 40% and in the dark. I do my best to maintain these little treasures I have.

The girl is Catherine Kilpatrick of Chicago IL. She was born about 1900, and had one brother and one sister who were equally cute children. They were first cousins to my father. She worked as a school teacher in Chicgo most of her life. When she died my father was her closest living relative, so the estate went to him. Among the effects were several boxes of pictures. This piece was loose in an envelope in one of the boxes.

Thank you everyone for the comments. It helps a great deal to see what other people think.
--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 01:58 AM

Here is an updated version incorporating the comments as listed above...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catherine_rework1.jpg (98.8 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 10:20 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I *REALLY* like that one!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 11:23 AM

Tim
Looks good! Thanks for sharing with us.
But one more question, is the thing flat, or does it have a curve to it? I was talking to a friend and she said she had seen something similer but that it had quite a curve to it. Kind of a small version of some of the large old prints you see that have that "bubble" to them.
Now that I have written that, I really do not know if those type of prints have a name... Maybe someone has that info?
Thanks again
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 12:59 PM

Tim
Excellent job!!! I love the frame. You definately have talent.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 01:44 PM

Lovely, Tim.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help