RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Request critique of restoration

Old 01-31-2002, 04:57 PM

Mike,

The substrate is flat. I don't think I have ever seen what you are talking about with concave or convex prints...

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 07:23 PM

Yo, Tim,

Excuse me...but, what the heck is "substrate?" (Pardon my ignorance here.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 07:38 PM

BEAUTIFUL second version Tim!!!

I like the frame much better than the black, but if it were me, I'd play around with desaturating it a bit. I was playing around with the sliders in the Hue/Saturation dialogue box and liked everything from -40 to -100. Leaving some of the color really complements her hair nicely though.

Jeanie

P.S. Can you please define "substrate" in the new Definitions thread? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 08:18 PM

Tim- I love the new frame!

jeaniesa, Hankster65 - A substrate is simply the underlying material upon which the image or graphic is applied to. In the case of Tim's photo, the substrate is porcelain. If you get a photo silk-screened onto a shirt, the shirt is the substrate.

I hear this term everyday in the sign industry. In fact, sometimes I hear it in my sleep!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 08:48 PM

Tim
The prints I was refering to are usually large (16x20 or so) and the frame is flat, but the glass in the frame sticks out 4 or 5(?) inches. The glass is contured (sp?) kind of like a bubble. The print is usually made on a very heavy substrate that is more like cardboard than a regular printing paper. The photo is contured just like the glass. I think the only subject I have ever seen printed this way were head shots, and they filled the frame. Almost gives a 3 dimensional view of the head, altho they are b&w. I have only seen a couple of them, and both were damaged from dropping the thing and the glass tearing up the photo when it shattered. We copied them with a camera, as this was before digital. I do not think that you could ever scan one . I think that the photo was printed, then while wet was pressed into the shape, then allowed to dry. Some of them had the chalk type art work done on them. I have been told that one can now buy that type of frame again, but I do not know if one can get a print made like that.
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 09:10 PM

I like what you've done with the girl, it's a beautiful picture, but you should avoid these plug in frames like the plague. Obviously that's just my opinion. But they are atrocious.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2002, 02:09 AM

Mike, thank for the description of the photographs. I have never seen anything like that. It sounds fascinating. I can see how dropping one one would really mess up the underlying photo...

Jenie, I played around with saturation on the frame. I didn't really like it too desaturated. What I liked best was saturation -20, lightness +19. It still is a bronze colored frame but is not so overpowering as the first one.

Mig, I'm not quite sure what you mean by plug in frames. What I used here for a frame is the metal mat I scanned myself from an Ambrotype made in about 1860. I tried to blend it in a little better and make it look less like a bad bluescreen job though...

I can't get over how great this is. To take a picture I was ready to call done, and felt pretty proud of, and to see how it could be made even better. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to provide your insights and suggestions.

Here is the latest:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catherine_rework2.jpg (99.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2002, 10:23 AM

BRAVO Tim!! Great job on the frame - I love the way it turned out.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim_S
I can't get over how great this is. To take a picture I was ready to call done, and felt pretty proud of, and to see how it could be made even better. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to provide your insights and suggestions.
That's what I love about this site too! It really helps to have a fresh pair of (critical) eyes look at what you've done - and I've found everyone is so helpful with suggestions that I can't help but try them out and sometimes expand on them.

I think you shoud be really proud of this one!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2002, 12:43 PM

Tim
I too love the new frame. That's definately a keeper.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2002, 01:17 PM

Really great job! Beautiful frame too....I have been following this thread and love what you have done.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help