RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Request critique of restoration

Old 01-30-2002, 01:27 AM

Request critique of restoration

I am so impressed by the members here. You are so helpful and knowledgable... I have picked up a lot by lurking ... so I thought I'd put it to the test.

This picture is on a porcelain substrate about 3mm thick. The surface is peeling badly in some areas, and some places the image material has flaked off completely. The picture was made about 1910.

I scanned the picture, and using PS5.5 restored it as best I could. This is not my first restoration, nor the one starting in the worst shape, but, this is the first one I've shown outside of family. I'd like to get your opinions on the restoration.

Is the paint>blur>add noise area below the actual picture area too obvious? Did I miss anything (I've stared at it so long I don't know what is real and what I've pictured in my mind should be there...). Was colorizing the eyes too much?

Thanks.
--tks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catherine_scan.jpg (63.3 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 01:30 AM

And the final version....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catherine_finished.jpg (43.5 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:10 AM

What a lovely picture!

Its obvious you've put a great deal of effort into the restoration and its also obvious that its paid off! I find no fault with it at all. You've kept it nice and subtle, which is in my opinion, just what this image required. I love the light powder blue you chose for the eyes. I think the eyes really make the image. Definitely I would not change them.

Maybe some others can spot something I'm not seeing, but, again, I personally find no fault.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 12:58 PM

You did a wonderful job. The only thing I didn't like was the black, oval frame.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 02:28 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think you've done a great job on this one. IMHO, Tim hit it right on the head when he said the eyes make it. Personally, I like the black frame, but I think the hair seems a little saturated in comparison with the rest of the photo. Just my opinion on it. She was really a pretty little girl.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 02:51 PM

I like the colors, but I think that the dress and her skin is too flat. It is hard to tell with a low rez scan, and I would like to see the orginal in person, but to me the dress contrast does not match up to the contrast of the color that was added.
Isn't it nice to know that we all see things the same way ?
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 04:07 PM

I think it looks nice, but I also see what Mike is saying. I think the cause may be that the color you added is too bright. Insead of using "color" mode to paint the color on, why not try a low opacity (26)setting of "multiply"? I know it sounds wrong, but try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 04:18 PM

Thank you so much Tim, Sharon, Ed and Mike for your comments.

Tim, I like the eyes myself, but they weren't in the original and I just wasn't sure it was the right thing to do...

Sharon, the black frame may have been too easy a way out. I may try a frame copied from one of my Ambrotypes...

Ed, I want to look at the final image again on a calibrated monitor (not the ones here at work), but I think you may be right about the hair. I did boost the saturation a bit after color correcting, but I was basing the overall correction on the lips. I probably should have split the colors to different layers and done each separately.

Mike, I agree that the dress and skin are rather flat, but that is the way they are in the original. The original has tonalities much like an albumin on glass plate; very flat and gray with no white at all. I am afraid that if I gave her too much snap she would begin to look too modern.

Thank you all again for your comments, it is very helpful to see what other people think. I'd like to put in a thanks to Tim Edwards for the De-Crack action that saved me hours of cloning. The surface had hundreds of tiny dark threads (mold possibly) that would have taken forever to remove individually...

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 05:33 PM

Tim_S
My first thought was the same as Hankster65's "What a beautiful picture" She is just gorgeous. I actually like the way you brought out her eyes. I have no problem with your restoration at all. As a matter of fact I am glad you were able to keep the antique look to it.

As for the original, you should see what the best option is to at least minimize any further deterioration. It's definately a keepsake worth saving. Can you tell us anything about her?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 PM

Beautiful image, beautiful girl!

My thoughts are that there is more cyan in the skin tones than I prefer, and that the hair is "too orange" - BUT, as you have stated, you are trying to keep the tone of the original, which you have succeeded in doing. Do you know the accurate hair color for this little charmer -- is the unretouched photo accurate, or have the colors shifted over time? Your enhancement of the eyes is a wonderful choice, I believe, and well worth keeping.

Other than the colors, which is subjective, I believe that you have restored the destroyed areas of the image extremely well -- the lace would have been the most frustrating for me, and you did an excellent job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help