RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How do I...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:41 PM

How do I...

Hi! I joined the group, read and learned a lot, computer went bad, now have new computer and monitor...Finally getting used to it and loading my stuff back in...
I have been told a neice has a large old photo of a great grand parent, the only one any where. It is framed under glass and the old photo is stuck to the glass. Was told they had taken it to a professional studio to see if it could be copied and told no, to remove it from the glass could ruin it. Maybe true, but can't it be photographed? Or scanned, too big for my scanner though, if what I have been told is true.
I would like to try to get a copy of the picture...will consider all suggestions.
First, I have to convince neice to let me see it and take it to work with... may be a problem there too. We are not friends.
Could I lay the framed picture on the porch for light and take a photo that I could work with?
Ideas! I need ideas! Hugs and smiles, Robsmom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: How do I...

hi,
First you didn't mention what the size of this picture. It would help on the possiblities.

There several
1. of course taking a picture of it. If using digital makes sure you use the highese resolution and I would think use the optical zoom. make sure of no glares (but lighting is good) and the glass is really clean
2. although most home user flatbed scanners are only basically 8x11's smile... there are a few that are larger up in the 12x17... and there even larger than that.... if yours is large, check with kinko or office depot or staples.... I know kinko and office depot use large format scanners... if they don't have one large enough they maybe able to recomend a place to go to....
3. not sure about this.... but your comercial color copying machines . there setup for various sizes.... just not sue of the quality....
4. check with your local printing company!! a lot of these companies deal with scanning large objects and they may have one that scan yours...

in all of this I would suggest, if possible, if they caput the scans on disk for you.. smile.... and not just a hardcopy....

note: removing picture from glass... it really ver trickey it very strongly recommended a scan is made before trying... some people will use cold water with a wetting agent and they'll soak for about 24 hours... and every so often try to lift slooowly just alittle at a time... but it tricky..... if i was a studio i probably wouldn't want to do it smile.

well those are my thoughts.. good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsmom
Hi! I joined the group, read and learned a lot, computer went bad, now have new computer and monitor...Finally getting used to it and loading my stuff back in...
I have been told a neice has a large old photo of a great grand parent, the only one any where. It is framed under glass and the old photo is stuck to the glass. Was told they had taken it to a professional studio to see if it could be copied and told no, to remove it from the glass could ruin it. Maybe true, but can't it be photographed? Or scanned, too big for my scanner though, if what I have been told is true.
I would like to try to get a copy of the picture...will consider all suggestions.
First, I have to convince neice to let me see it and take it to work with... may be a problem there too. We are not friends.
Could I lay the framed picture on the porch for light and take a photo that I could work with?
Ideas! I need ideas! Hugs and smiles, Robsmom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help