RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to set Photoshop Cs2 color settings to match print output

Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM

How to set Photoshop Cs2 color settings to match print output

Can someone please help me set my color in photoshop color settings. Click on edit and color settings in photoshop cs2. My image comes out darker than what I see on my monitor. I have an Epson R800 photo printer. Someone with an Epson R 800 would also be appreaciated.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Re: How to set Photoshop Cs2 color settings to match print output

Epson R300 here with the same problem
Happens the same with Paint Shop X
But get perfect results with PhotoImpact 12

Puzzling

Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Wink Re: How to set Photoshop Cs2 color settings to match print output

Gerald,

Just a note on my experiences, which may help you.

I have an HP Photosmart 3310, and the coloring was 'off'. I know that my monitor was showing the true colors. When I sent pictures to be processed, the prints came back fine. I played around with the print options in Photoshop, but wasted a lot of ink and photo paper, with no real results. On my prints, faces were ashen and pale. The color pink printed as a peach color.

I finally called HP support yesterday. Of course, the novice rep kept me on the line for about 2 hours, asking me to try countless procedures, that I already had tried. Finally, he had me download another driver from another HP printer. My printing now reflects the true colors.

So, maybe it's your driver. Hope this helps.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 04:56 PM

Hi, bkpoltis do you think that I need drivers for my Epson R800 photo printer? I will contact Epson and find out if I need drivers for my printer. I had called Epson this morning and the tech. had told me that photoshop need to be set up correct that's the reason I'm not printing what is on the monitor.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Here's a good web page that may help.
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...p?p=30301&rl=1

I use Photoshop CS on XP and had the same problem. The problem started when I updated XP to SP2. Found out you need an updated epson driver for SP2.

The second thing I learned was that everybody wants a piece of the "color management" pie. Photoshop, XP. drivers, printers, monitors, etc. I now only use Photoshop to print images. I found that if the PRINT SPACE (found under File =>Print with Preview) is set to "same as source", XP with not do any conversion to the image file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Hi,

I have the r1800 the same as the r800 just bigger. I use the colorvision
spyder 2 to calibrate my monitor ( this is one of the cheaper monitor calibrators ). I also let photoshop determine the colors and use the color profiles for the paper i am printing on ( these are free downloads from epson and also have instructions on how to use them. I think its a pdf on the download page.)

All of this is a pain in the butt sometimes but my prints exactly match my screen colors.

Also, there are some freeware none hardware monitor calibrators.

Hope I was some help
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 PM

Gerald, Other than making sure you are in the same color space, I don't believe this is something you are going to correct in photoshop. I have 2 suggestions.

First be sure you are using a high quality paper. Whatever substrate you decide to print on will affect quality and color of your image.

Second be sure your monitor is calibrated to your printer. All of the above suggstions are probably good but the end result is the end result and all monitors and printers perform differently. Print your image. If it looks different than it does on your monitor, adjust your monitor to look like the print. Correct your image to your liking and print again. Repeat this process if needed.

One last note here. You mentioned your prints were coming out darker than on your monitor. You might try adobe gamma to fix the problem. You will find it in your control panel.

Alan

Last edited by cardmnal; 10-28-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Gerald,

Getting a new driver definitely changed my printer's output. It pretty much matches my monitor now. I always use high quality photo paper and the inks made by the printer manufacturing company.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM

Gerald,

My best advice to you is to read Ian Lyon's excellent article on how to print with color management using Photoshop CS2. This should answer your questions. He covers the CS2 settings as well as the Epson Driver settings. His article is based on the R2400 but that should be perfectly compatible with your R800 driver.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9...s9_print_1.htm

I'd strongly recommend reading his companion article on Photoshop CS2 Color management as well.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 11:23 AM

and thank you, bob, for adding those links to the library!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help