RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Odd-Looking Forehead

Old 11-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Odd-Looking Forehead

I took some pics bowling last night. I didn't like the tiny bit of bangs my hair decided to recently grow, so I used the Clone tool to get rid of the bangs.

The problem is my forehead looks weird now - I can't place my finger on what it is! Too shiny? If anyone can recommend a specific tool to make it look more normal, please let me know!

Jen Solo - Original
Jen Solo - Clone Tool Applied

Group 2 - Original
Group 2 - Clone Tool Applied

Jen

P.S. If you look at the original compared to the altered picture, you'll see that when I open a picture in Photoshop CS 2, it automatically changes the hue/saturation so reds are brighter - faces and bowling balls look more red, for instance. It does this on every. single. picture I open. I usually manually adjust the levels. Anyone know what setting I can adjust in CS 2 so that when I open a picture, it represents the one I've taken?

Last edited by Sobe203; 11-04-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Re: Odd-Looking Forehead

Hi

Concerning how your phto looks in phtoshop, it sounds like possibly profile mismatching.

My first question is you mention how your photo really looks.
Really looks in what viewing software?

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 03:15 PM

I can view the picture in:
-AOL Photo Editor
-Preview (a Mac application)
-On my digital camera screen

And they all look the same; mild skin tones, not as vibrant red.

If I open the image in Photoshop, all heck breaks loose - people's faces look bright red, and all the other red/pink components are enhanced. Compare the bowling balls in my solo picture, for instance.

~*~*~*

Also, I'd just like to add I'm not really looking for anyone to tweak my pic in Photoshop; a quick eyeballing to ID the problem and a fast recommendation would be perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 04:57 PM

Hi Again

My guess is that the way it looks in photoshop is actually more representative of the file than any of those programs.
Are you working on a mac or pc?
Are you working with Jpegs from your camer or RAWS?
I believe if we got your color preferences set up correctly in CS2 and had the proper profile tagged to your file all would be well

Let me know what you understand and use and I'll try to help

Bill

P.S. Havae you ever ink jet printed oneof your shots?
How does it compare?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 05:02 PM

its a profile mismatch....when you open in ps it is assigning a profile to the image. go into preferences and change file handling to "ask when open" or something like that.

The red is not representative of the true look of the file....the cleaner look is closer to what it should look like....it is just applying a profile to the image instead of converting it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Patron

Well the face particularly looked too red. I viewed the photo in Photoshop with a srgb color space. the file posted was a png file and not a jpeg which could explain the color shift.

I took the photo and lowered the saturation some and converted it to a jpg file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lessred1.jpg (98.4 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Hi
Looking at the metadata in CS2 Bridge your two files are different.
The first original file has a tagged sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile which is common for an image (jpeg) coming from a canon camera and perfectly OK.
However the second has been converted to a LCD color profile you must have opened it on a laptop, not a problem with that but the settings in photoshop may be changing your image.
Some of the standard "out of the box" settings in the photoshop colour preferences (shift+apple+k) can change the image when opened and resaved.
In the first box "working spaces" make sure Your RGB is set to
'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'.
Secondly In the "Colour Management Policies" settings box, set the RGB: to
'preserve embedded profile' dont worry about anything else in those boxes for the time being.
Try this it should standardise things for you.
As for the cloning its OK you lost the hair, maybe also the movement and texture on the forehead "practise makes perfect " they say, but if you go in very close and use a very small brush just to remove the hair and nothing else maybe a touch of the healing brush to retain the noise.
Hoped this helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Fixing the forehead - I copied a tri-angular section of skin from below her right eye. Rotated about 45 degrees, reshaped to fit over her hair on her forehead. Cleaned up with the healing brush. Used the dodge tool (soft brush with diameter equal to 2/3 the distance between her eyes) to put a slight highlight in the center of her forehead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0559pa0-a.jpg (89.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM

sobe,

the forehead looks a bit odd because of the evenness of the cloning. it's got a bit of that 'pasty' look one gets from straight cloning. when cloning, you want to sample from many different directions and at different opacities to give a more varied skin tone and color.

if there's no real way to do that, you can airbrush a bit of different color or shading to break up the mono-tone aspect. you can also make a selection of the area in question and use the 'add noise' filter to break things up a bit and bring back some texture. you may then also gausian blur that added noise to smooth it around a bit... very light gausian.

before starting on anything, i doubled the image size to get rid of 'the jaggies'.

on yours, the first thing i fixed was the red-eye using psp's red eye removal tool. i then whitened the teeth up a bit. then i did the forehead using the techniques described above, including airbrushing and add noise. i particularly wanted to add a bit of highlighting to the center of the forehead.

i also cloned out the strands of hair on the neck and added a little color with airbrush.

i also blurred the background using a selection on it and then gausian blurring it twice.

i also made a crop and saved to a new image and then doubled the image size of that as well.

i also did one normal sharpen and a .jpg artifact removal filter. there were also a lot of little touches to fix edges, define the lips a bit, smooth edges here and there and so on.

lovely smile, by the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sobe-1-k-1.jpg (92.5 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Hi everybody,
Simonlee - I followed your directions to fix the Photoshop profile to out-of-the-box settings. My RGB was set to
'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'.
And in "Colour Management Policies" the RGB was set to
'preserve embedded profile'.

So it looks like that all checks out; I can't place my finger on why Photoshop wants everyone in my pictures looking sunburned or embarassed!

duwayne - beautiful work as always, I am playing with that suggestion now. And thanks to everyone else for the other tips; I'll try sampling from multiple areas and working with tiny brushes.

If anyone can figure out my color dilemma, though, it'd be helpful because I always have to reduce my Saturation to ~ -26.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help