RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Looking for snow globe tutorials

Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM

Looking for snow globe tutorials

I need some help getting going with this year's family Christmas photo. This year we've decided that the family will exist inside a tiny snow globe, with the cat peering in from outside the glass (my wife insists that the cat be included in our photo). There are a couple of decent tutorials out there (below), but I want to add some really believeable glass effects (much like that famous "glass pill" tuturial that came out a few years ago). Any other good tutorials out there for making snow globes?

Ken

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...snowglobe3.htm

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/SnowGlobeTut.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Re: Looking for snow globe tutorials

I know this isn't exatly for a snow globe but I think it could be easily adapted to fit your needs. It has a really clean effect and the tutorial does tell you how to make things look behind glass.

Globe Tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the link, that worked nicely. My progress so far.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upload.jpg (18.1 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 AM

Cool, that is coming along nicely. I've always wanted a cat with a pushed in face but a stray always seems to come along before I can buy one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 05:41 PM

Here's the final draft. Critiques are appreciated. Thanks again for the link, irshgrlkc.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upload2.jpg (41.6 KB, 139 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 12:19 PM

ken, that's marvelous!

the only thing that strikes me a bit is, the base of the globe isnt that important and is taking up quite a bit of the image, lessening the importance of the family. i think i'd crop a bit of that off. but that really is very nicely done! i'm impressed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Impressive! I agree with K about base being over emphasized.
BUT where is the cat? I really had to look and look for the cat!!! Any way to emphasize cat more???
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm so glad that the cat does not jump right out of the picture at you. I was worried the cat had too strong of a presence. We want our cat to be in our Christmas photo, but in a subtle and unusual way, rather than sitting in the pose with us.

I'm not sure if I can crop the base out of this shot. We've decided on 4x6 photos, because anything smaller will make our faces too small (since we are jammed inside a snow globe). Anything larger than 4x6 might be "too big" for just a simple Christmas card insert. Plus, 5x7's are much more expensive and we are printing 40 of these. If I "zoom in" while maintaining a 4x6 shape, I'll cut off the sides of the globe, and of course, the cat. I need to leave a little breathing room for him. I'd appreciate some ideas on just exactly how I should crop this, considering my issues above.

The base is from an actual photograph of my son's 2-inch-tall snow globe, and the background comes from the exact same shot, without the globe. Everything else is pretty much from scratch.

I had to reduce the levels on the cat, since his original exposure was much brighter than everything else. Let me know what you think of his levels please.

Anything missing from the glass?

Thanks again! Here's my new "final copy" for your review. I've brushed the snow off our faces and added some reflection detail to the glass.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upload3.jpg (53.4 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM

ken,

i looked at this again today and i have to agree, if you're going for 4x6 then you've pretty much got it good as is. cropping just wont look right. you have to use distortions on the family after that, and whereas that somewhat works because they are inside the glass, it still just doesnt look right.

so, about all i'd suggest at this point is, if you can, enlarge the people before inserting. that would help a bit.

and the other thing i noticed when looking at this closer is, your face could stand a bit of sharpening. doesnt need much, but a bit might look better, or even adding a bit of contrast there might work.

and even if you dont do a thing to it, i still think it's a delightful and well done image
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM

Excellent work, Ken. I'm impressed!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help