RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Beautiful and lots of potential

Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Re: Beautiful and lots of potential

C.J. You are amazingly talented with this software! Do you teach a class?!!! She is gorgeous!

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 AM

Sylvia, I think it's a combination of this lovely image and our color tastes running along the same lines -- I have been learning Photoshop for many years, and I still have a lot to learn compared to some other folks here, but I'm very happy that you like my version!

As far as teaching, I do have some teaching background, and I will certainly try to share any skill or knowledge that I can claim with you or anyone else who is serious about learning. I have been very impressed with your continued eagerness to practice and learn, and your continued improvement.

I think that I've posted links for you before to Vikki Hansen's work, but we can never link too many times to someone with her skills.
http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/makeovers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 AM

Thank you for the encouragement, C.J. This forum is an incredibly friendly and supportive resouce for anyone working with this software or trying to learn this software.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM

agree aa, a great mob here
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Patron

I switched to cymk mode and used levels on the individual channels which helped some then I went to RGB and used selective color adjustments. It seems to me that the original photo was tinted. Right at the hairline at the forhead it appears that there was a light brown pigment used to colorize the hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby1.jpg (98.0 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Beautiful background, Phil! I've never done level adjustments to the individual channels. This may be a good solution for another picture I'm struggling with. Thank you! Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Sylvia, I'd forgotten about a very nice resource available -- Vikki Hansen wrote an article that follows her process through the retouching of a portrait image. It was published by the on-line photo gallery, PBase in their first on-line magazine in pdf format. Her article begins on page 16 and runs thru page 18. Vikki is a working retoucher and is a stickler for a natural look in coloration and skin smoothing -- this would be a good article for you to download and keep if that is possible on your computer system.

http://i2.pbase.com/o1/mag/pbase_mag...l2_jul2005.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Thank you, C.J. This was a very good tutorial. I tried it on another portrait I'm working on. I got lost when it was time for me to paint on the mask. I couldn't seem to make the mask the active layer for me to paint. Anyway, I'm sure I need to start over and go through the steps again slowly. I'm pretty sure I've made some mistakes in the instructions. But I love using the eyedropped and painting on a smoother skin tone. I was able to remove this child's dark circles under his eyes. I'm probably not suppose to add another picture to this thread but since we're on the topic, here it is. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OriginalKenneth.jpg (53.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 5x7-Kenneth.jpg (58.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Sylvia, if you have not already worked through both of these RetouchPro tutorials on layer masks, please do -- one was written by Vikki Hansen, and the other by Flora.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=63

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=166

Your work looks good to me on the boy's face -- if I hadn't seen both photos, I wouldn't have noticed the difference. I question taking the smile line away from his mouth, however -- if I knew the boy, I might miss seeing "that look".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 AM

I think you're right about the smile line. I went too far and I couldn't back up. I need to go through the tutorial by Flora. She is also very good and she is self-taught so there's hope for me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help