Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Beautiful and lots of potential

Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Re: Beautiful and lots of potential

Originally Posted by AtlanaAnna
I think you're right about the smile line. I went too far and I couldn't back up. I need to go through the tutorial by Flora. She is also very good and she is self-taught so there's hope for me...
It was a good practice session for you; we all start off trying everything, and then try to learn when to stop (believe me, there are threads on that subject! ) Learning to "back up" is one of the skills you will also pick up -- using adjustment layers and layer masks that can be "thrown away" or changed, backing up in your history palette, saving snapshots of each big step along the way so we can "go back" is all part of the process. I've lost a lot of my work over the years because I didn't get in the habit of saving snapshots etc.

You are quite right -- Flora is excellent, and has written excellent tutorials. Look also at her challenges and her posts helping people with a difficult image -- she explains what/how she did and we all learn a lot from those posts. Most everyone here is self-taught (except some of the "kids" who are working in the trade and grew up on computers at home and school), and you are doing fine. I had been working (ok, playing - I don't make any money with it) with Photoshop for years before this website was created, and I didn't learn to start looking at channels until after I signed on here. [Don't feel the need to jump into channels until you feel ready, but they're just a basic part of the image we look at, and it is important to learn to look at them and use them when there are color casts, or we need to make difficult selections, etc. I'm just making the point that we can use Photoshop for a lot of things even before we know how to work all its features and parts.]

Remember -- enjoy the journey while you are learning -- don't worry about not knowing everything -- no one knows it all, but we sure enjoy the parts that we know!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Re: Beautiful and lots of potential

A colourized version...converted to monochrome via channel mixer and colour added back by curves adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobbie.jpg (97.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by printmeister; 02-16-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help