RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Image Security - watermarking maybe

Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 PM

[help] Image Security - watermarking maybe

I am helping a friend scan old family photos ( hundreds of photos) with the intention of creating a large family album on dvd. Her family are located all over the globe so we felt the easiest way to let the family members see our progress was to place some of the old photos on a private webpage for them to see. The intention was for them to SEE the photos... not to download or print them... at least not till the project is complete. Unfortunately, there are always a few that want to take, take, take without contributing so we had to stop posting to the website for now.

My question is... is there a way to embed code or some kind of digital security into a digital photo that would disable the ability to print a photo. Or.. is there a way to place a watermark on a photo which will only show when the photo is printed? We want the family to see the photos.. we just do not want them to be printing them at this time.

Thanks for any help with this.

cheers;
John

Last edited by John_D; 03-16-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: edit subject to include "help"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM

Re: Image Security - watermarking maybe

perhaps not the most elegant way to do so, but just using a program like photoshop elements and adding text to a photo, convert it to shape, then make it the size you want it to be. You can even mess with it's opacity and e verything to make it look better. I would even volunteer the help if need be and you don't have the resources to do so.

chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 AM

if you drop your images into indesign, export as pdf, and in the security settings you can disable printing, making changes, etc etc.

the only other thing is to watermark the pics straight up, because nothing will really stop someone from doing an alt>printscreen....or command>shift>3
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 AM

How do you think they are getting the images? Right-click, Save?
How sophisticated web surfers are the people?
They are a number of things you can do to make it a little more difficult to copy and save - but they can also get around all these things.
In the end, anyone can hit PrintScreen on their keyboard and paste the page into MS Paint or any graphics program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 PM

hi,
this is my 2 cents worth and my answer is simlar to what been mentioned..

I have done my fair share of getting pictures off a website... and i been a ble do to it regardless weather there code that doesn't allow me to save.. or it's in a special format... etc...

The only sure way to deterr a person from downloading/printing your picturers is by putting in a big heavy water mark or there's text on the picture that "cripples the picture quality" sort of speak... in other word makes it difficult to to try to repair.. smile.... now you can also intentially make a picture so bad, (maybe heavy bluring) no one will not try to save a picture and print.. smile... if I don't want any one to downlaod and print i would put heavy water marks or a lot of print in the middle of the picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
They are a number of things you can do to make it a little more difficult to copy and save - but they can also get around all these things.
In the end, anyone can hit PrintScreen on their keyboard and paste the page into MS Paint or any graphics program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cducasse
perhaps not the most elegant way to do so, but just using a program like photoshop elements and adding text to a photo, convert it to shape, then make it the size you want it to be. You can even mess with it's opacity and e verything to make it look better. I would even volunteer the help if need be and you don't have the resources to do so.

chris
I have been playing around with the watermarks and though it would be ok in some cases, I was hoping I could find a way to create a situation where the photo would show clear while it is viewed on screen, but a watermark would show on any printed copy. Would be even better if there was a real way to embed into the photo a code to stop the ability to print all together.

John

Last edited by John_D; 03-17-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: settings
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo678
if you drop your images into indesign, export as pdf, and in the security settings you can disable printing, making changes, etc etc.

the only other thing is to watermark the pics straight up, because nothing will really stop someone from doing an alt>printscreen....or command>shift>3

I use Acrobat Pro 8 for my document work... mainly for its security features. I have been experimenting today with acrobat to see if I can make it work for my photos. Acrobat has a few nice security features as you mentioned. One feature I like is the one where the watermark will not show while the photo is on screen, but will when printed. Unfortunately, what I have found today is that when I emailed the protected photo to my other system (which has only acrobat 8 reader), the watermark showed in the screen view as well, do to incompatibility with other versions of acrobat. I AM testing this method further though. It would be great if pdf will do the trick.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
I have no idea which method of save they are using... and I do not know how computer savvy they are. I do know that one person had the photos downloaded about 5 minutes after receiving the link to those photos. And lucky for me finding out, I had the same photos deleted within 15 minutes of the link being sent. I could put big watermarks across the photos making them worthless to leechers, but I don't beleive those who are co-operative and considerate should be deprived of seeing the photos because of the actions of just a few.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb
hi,
this is my 2 cents worth and my answer is simlar to what been mentioned..

I have done my fair share of getting pictures off a website... and i been a ble do to it regardless weather there code that doesn't allow me to save.. or it's in a special format... etc...

The only sure way to deterr a person from downloading/printing your picturers is by putting in a big heavy water mark or there's text on the picture that "cripples the picture quality" sort of speak... in other word makes it difficult to to try to repair.. smile.... now you can also intentially make a picture so bad, (maybe heavy bluring) no one will not try to save a picture and print.. smile... if I don't want any one to downlaod and print i would put heavy water marks or a lot of print in the middle of the picture...
Would you be willing to test the security methods I come up with? I am not concerned about the downloading part... but would like somebody to test the security of the photo file and its usefulness. See how hard (or easy) it is to remove the security I embed into the photo file.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 AM

hi,
I don't mind, sort of honored.. but keep in mind I consider my self a novice with photoshop and the the gurus here they know a lot of tricks and techniques and probably a lot experience overcoming such preventing measures.. smile. ... but if you need a view from a novice.. go ahead... smile.. I'll give you my thoughts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D
Would you be willing to test the security methods I come up with? I am not concerned about the downloading part... but would like somebody to test the security of the photo file and its usefulness. See how hard (or easy) it is to remove the security I embed into the photo file.

John
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help