RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

problem image

Old 02-21-2002, 06:25 PM

Question problem image

Greetings to all. This is my first post to the list. I have been reading a lot of the threads and think this may be just the place to acquire some good info about restoring photos.

I inherited 14 slides my father took in Tokyo in 1952. They are on a film called Eastman 34. I believe it is like Kodachrome. The colors are still quite vibrant.

The slides are in various conditions. Some are very clean and some are a mess. Some were mounted in glass/paper mounts that were taped on the edges and some were mounted in a two-piece metal mount sandwiched between glass.

I have been using Photoshop 5.5 to try to restore them so I can share them with my family. I think my mom would be greatly surprised.

An example of what I am looking at is attached. First the original, then the original with auto-levels done. I have been trying to figure out how to deal with the discoloration on the sides, but don't have enough experience to know what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan08.jpg (67.6 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2002, 06:27 PM

Here is a copy of the original with only auto-levels done.

Thanks to all

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan08l.jpg (35.1 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 04:40 AM

Hi Keith and welcome. Yes, you've definitely come to the right place to get help and advice!

I'm afraid I'm probably not the right person to offer you much assistance, though, as I have no experience whatsoever of either scanning slides or restoring slide images. But I have had a look at this photo and fiddled around with it a bit.

Having done my best with levels adjustments to each colour channel, I don't seem to have got much further than you did with "auto levels". The quality of the original and/or scan is not very promising - there is horizontal banding across the entire image which I feel would be extremely difficult to sort out. I would tend to forget about trying to fix the colour banding at the edges, as it would be way too much work for too little reward! It's that wide green band down the right edge the really bothers me and I would suggest that your best course of action would be to crop it off altogether, along with the thin dark border around the other three edges.

I've attached an attempt I made to salvage something reasonable from this. Having cropped the photo dramatically so that the man and child were the main subjects, I had a look at the channels and found that the green channel was awful, while the blue channel, although far from "good", was the best of the three. I copied that and pasted to a new layer. Then duplicated the original, pasted that as a new layer over the B&W one, with blend mode set to "color". Then duplicated the original again, but this time used "lighten" blend mode & reduced the opacity a bit. Merged those three layers. Then ran the "despeckle" filter on each channel. To sharpen it up a bit, duplicated the layer, ran a "high pass" filter and set the blend mode to "overlay". Merged. Slightly darkened the green channel using "Levels" then increased the level of Yellow using "Color Balance".

I didn't feel there was much more that could be done, so I quit there.

I hope someone else can offer your more constructive help here. But my gut feeling is that you won't get very happy results from these slides unless you can get cleaner scans from them.

All you slide experts - come on over here!!! You're needed!!!

Best of luck, Keith!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 04:43 AM

Sorry - forgot to attach the pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan08_new.jpg (42.6 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 05:16 AM

Sam is right about the scan. You need to boost the gamma in your scanning software before you fiddle with the image in PS. The dark edges around the outside look like the edge of the slide. I'd also just crop it.

Are you using a film scanner or a flatbed? Only the middle to top-end flatbed scanners can do reasonable scans of slides and negatives (assuming that they have the adaptors).

Good luck with your efforts!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. The original scan was done on a Microtek 4800 with film adapter. Resolution was set at 600 at 200% and saved as a tiff. This image is a medium res jpeg I made to demonstrate the problem. It is by no means the raw scan.

I really want to try to restore the entire image, mainly because the shooter was my father and he is no longer with us. The GI on the left edge of the photo depicts the US presence in Japan and I believe adds to the historical significance of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 07:37 PM

Some of the problems may be a result of the scanner. There does not appear to be much detail in the shadows and considerable noise as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2002, 07:50 PM

I have to agree with the others. If you want to get the best out of these negatives, you will need to get better scans to start with. The better the info gathered from the scan, the less trouble you will have fixing them. You could try adjusting the gamma up on your scanner so the details come out better in the shadows as BigAl suggested.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 11:55 AM

How does one go about adjusting the gamma on a scanner? I am using Microtek Scanwizard 5 for my software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:32 PM

It depends on your scanner software. Some times you can't if your software doesn't give you the controls to do that. When you are making a scan what are the controls you are able to adjust manually to make the scan look better than the scanners auto settings?
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help