RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help requested-somewhat urgent.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Help requested-somewhat urgent.

I have two photos of a house. The first one was taken by someone without the benefit of a wide angle lens, so part of the house is cut off. The nice thing about this photo is that there are a lot of rhododendron bushes in full bloom-reds and white. I was called in last week to reshoot the property (I have a 17mm lens), and found that it was a) in a well shaded area at the specific time called for by the realtor, and b) the bloom has faded on the rhododendrons. The shading effect resulting in some dark areas

I figure I have two options here. I can try to reshoot the property again, when the sunlight is more cooperative, or somehow merge the two photos. Can I use the clone tool from one photo to the next? Would this be the best approach? Or I could try cutting and pasting the blooming flowers to the one where they are not as prominent. It would be very time consuming with all the flower petals and leaves as I see it.

Any ideas on the best approach here? I am still a newbie so be gentle with me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Re: Help requested-somewhat urgent.

Gday.
Tough call on that one. The problem with cloning etc, is that the pics were taken with different focal lengths, so the image will be a different size. It's to know without seeing the pics on screen. Can u post them on to have a look?
It is possible to clone from another photo, but you can also select the original tree and paste it into the new photo....but again you will have the problem of different sizes and possibly angles.
Maybe the best bet is to reshoot and colour the flowers in yourself. I've done a similar thing on a house photo as well.
Good luck anyway.
Bassman
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Christo, You could certainly copy the flowers from one photo to the other, but you will need to be careful with the perspective. Usually the different angle is not a problem with flowers and plants, but the hard part can be cutting them out convincingly, and getting them into the correct perspective.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Patron

Christo, my initial approach would be to superimpose one image in a layer over the other. Then adjust the tone of one of the layers to get it close to the other. Then add a layer maskand selectivey blend the areas that you need to make the composite image.
But it would be best if you could upload the images to get some more accurate advise.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM

If you have Photoshop you can try using the Color Match function to bring your second shot more in line with the colors and luminance of the first shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Swampy

Hi Swampy:

Is the color match function included in CS2?

I use PS CS ... doesn't have color match ... and have easy access to CS2. I also have a group of 13 shots I took for a pano ... and had everything properly on manual except the White Balance - it was set to Auto ... ugh. So all my neat pano shots have slightly different color casts which will be very painstakingly time consuming to adjust. Color Match sound like exactly what I need.

It may be the reason I need to move to CS2 ... or CS3.

Thanks,

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Stosh

I'm not sure which version of CS the Color Match function was introduced in. It might have be CS2. It's found under Image-Adjustments-Color Match in CS2
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Does color match exist in PS 7?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 PM

This is what I ended up with. You can obviously see where the patch was made. I cannot say I am pleased with the results. I tried using Clara's excellent tutorial on bluing the sky, hoping that would lessen the impact of the color shift between the two segments, but every time I tried it I kept getting the white in the building, turning blue as well. I am so frustrated by this whole thing. It's almost to put you off of PhotoShop for life. If anyone has any good ideas, tutorials or techniques, I would sure appreciate them. Thanks Group, for putting up with my pathetic attempts and ramblings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover.jpg (85.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 AM

The only thing that I noticed in the original was the flowers on the right hand side. I am not sure if that was where the problem was. Anyway, this is my try.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building_web.jpg (168.8 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help