RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help Identifying

Old 02-28-2002, 06:24 PM

Thanks DJ, I'm off to check out the link...Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2002, 07:58 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Tom,

I dug that photo out and did a quick scan, but it doesn't look as though it will do you any good. I noticed that his uniform is buttoned on the wrong side, and I'm wondering if this wasn't a sketch that someone did from an ambrotype, then recopied on film? It sure looks like a sketch. I believe this was my great grandfather. Any ideas?

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandpa dupuis.jpg (60.0 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 06:44 AM

Ed, Very interesing! I agree..it looks like a sketch rather than a photo. The Bayonet type , ramrod and what I can see of the forestock and muzzle are very suggestive of mid-19th century muzzle loading military rifles although some of the early Martini rifles, popular with the English military looked similar as well. Same with the cap and uniform cut and the broad sash...almost looks like a member of a Scottish Regiment...perhaps a Cadet?
My "Unknown" soilder still remains unknown...after exploring the links posted above a date of 1914 -1916 seems reasonable, most likely Canadian ( about 100% sure of that from the cap and insignia) but the riding gear ( crop, pants spurs and bandoleer) are still a puzzle as is the meaning of the two hash marks on the Right sleeve just above the cuff area. Perhaps the "get up" is ceramonial rather than functional? Perhaps this fellow was a senoir non-com or a commissioned Officer? Am still digging.... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 08:07 AM

I'm not being facetious this time - honest!!

Could he be a riding instructor in the cavalry? Or perhaps he was learning to ride himself. The get-up looks to me like workmanlike, informal, riding kit. For formal attire he'd presumably wear long boots.

The hash-marks (chevrons) on his right sleeve might indicate his rank e.g. 1 for sergeant, 2 for lieutenant, 3 for captain etc. or whatever they have in the Canadian army.

Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 08:32 AM

Sam, I sorta liked the first line of inquiry....would add a bit of flavor to my clients family tree....dont suppose the local Parson would find it amusing though, or perhaps he would...
Thanks for the info on the hash marks. I was a bit puzzled by lack of a side arm, although if that is informal training type wear, that could explain the absence. Hopefully some input from the clients relatives will be forth coming...one in particular is up in her 90s and reported to be sharp yet, so.... thanks again! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 09:44 PM

Irene

Hi,
I may have an answer to your identity puzzle. The subject interested me because of my husband's genealogy research and military family background. When I showed him the photo he immediately said "Corporal (becouse of the two chevrons on the sleeve) and probably Horse Artillery". After a short 'Google' search we found this site.

< http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/fgh.html>

The very last photo at the bottom of the screen shows men in uniforms just like this one (right down to the awkward looking tunic -- perhaps all that time on horses?). I'd post it as a jpg, but can't figure out how to. They adopted the maple leaf cap badge in 1915, which fits your time line. Also the border in the prairies at that time was pretty fluid re: Can/US. This is a frame of their site and if you go to <www.fortgarryhorse.ca>, there is a "Roll of Honour" for those years. Your client may recognize a name. As far as firearms go, I think they followed the Brit tradition and only wore them for combat??

This is my first foray into forum posting. I have been watching, reading and learning for awhile. All of you do such great work and the descriptions are such a wonderful teaching tool. Thanks!

Hope this helps,
Irene
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 07:23 AM

Irene, Many thanks to you and your husband! The pieces are beginning to fall into place and the site link you posted was most helpful. The Grandmothers family, according to my client who called me last evening, were from Manitoba. She had a brother but little else is known about him, except that he fought in WW1 and thats about it. The photo plus the timeline info pretty well convinces me that he was Cavalry, definately Canadian and with the info you folks dug out, my client should be able to dig out the rest. I suspect no sidearm was worn unless the soilder was in a combat area, explaining its absence in the photo. I will pass the site info on to the client this morning and extend a big "Thanks" from him as well! Again, thank you . Welcome to this site and keep posting! You folks are a valuable resource! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be able to help. I think you are right on with the identity and the family should be able to do the rest. Winnipeg, Manitoba was where the Fort Garry Horse originated and they fought in WW1 with great bravery. This has been a learning experience for me too. I never knew we even had 'Cavalry' in Canada. Re: the sidearms, my husband says "only officers got them, enlisted men were only given rifles."
Irene
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Interesting about the sidearms. In the US cavalry, Troopers and Officers carried sidearms as well as Carbines. Thanks again...Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 04:49 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Glad you finally got some good info Tom. Ask, and you shall receive!

Irene,
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help