RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Background Help

Old 06-17-2007, 08:52 AM

Re: Background Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
Michael is there a tutorial on what you have done?

There will be as soon as I finish typing!

I liked what Des151 had done and thought a little depth of field would kick it up a notch.

The first question is, how do I quickly and easily separate the tiger from the grass?

Having a knowledge of the Ten Channels is invaluable here. See this tutorial if you want more info http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=291

Since the tiger is more magenta than green and the grass is more green than magenta, I knew right away that the A channel of LAB is were I would find the start of my depth map. A depth map is used by the Lens Blur filter to simulate the depth of field effect. More on this later.

So the first thing I did was convert to LAB and copy the A channel. This created an Alpha channel which I labeled "tiger mask". I then used levels to bring in the white and black points, the median filter to even out the jpeg artifacts, and a soft white brush set to overlay for final cleanup.

This left me with a very serviceable mask which separates the tiger from the grass.

Then I created a new blank alpha channel. Using the Gradient tool set to the black and white preset, I created a gradient which went from black at the bottom to white at the top. I labeled this "dof". This is what creates the illusion of depth needed by the Lens Blur filter. But now we must combine the two alpha channels so the tiger isn't affected by the filter.

For combining channels nothing beats the Calculations command! So we go to Image>Calculations.

Source 1; the working document. Layer; Background. Channel; tiger mask.
Source 2; the working document. Layer; Background. Channel; dof.
Blending; Subtract. Opacity; 100%. Offset; 0. Scale; 1.
Result; New Channel. I labeled the resulting alpha channel "depth map".

Now we have the depth map needed by the Lens Blur filter.

So we go to Filter>Blur>Lens Blur. I used mostly default settings except for setting the Depth Map source to my depth map and cranking the blur focal distance all the way up.

That's it! It was actually very quick and easy. The hard part was gaining the experience to know where and how to apply the various resources and techniques used.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 AM

maverick911,
Michael nice pickup on the dof. Maverick911 would of used a long focal length lens or be lunch for such a beautiful animal.
1st I used the green channel to make a selection of the area that I didn't want. 2nd Then I used the selection to mask out the unwanted area. 3rd I selected different areas of the grass (ctrl j float them to seperate layers). 4th Move the grass areas to fill the void and blend them with a layer mask for each one. 5th Merged the layers (not the org,). 6th Used the patch tool to clean up any repeated grass etc. (when useing the patch tool, I made jagged edges, It helps if you drink a-lot of java). 7th I used a 50% grey layer to d&b. I hope this helps.
Ray

Last edited by des151; 06-17-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks very much for your trouble guys. Here's my shot. Just one thing, I masked out the Tiger to clone the grass, but the edge of the ears is not great? I used the lasso tool at a feather setting of 2. Any way to improve on this? Reckon I can have this on my wall now
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger.jpg (88.5 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 10:49 PM

Lightbulb Re: Background Help

Nice job Maverick. It looks really good.

I noticed you said you used the Lasso tool to make the selection around the ears. I find the pen tool much easier and quicker to use when making a selection like that. Although it does take a little effort to learn the pen tool, it is well worth the effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 04:39 AM

Maverick
very nice. You can make a more accurate selection with the pen tool.
Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Maverick,

Great job!

I had one more tweak to try. If you like it let me know and I'll tell you what I did and why.

I'd also like to write a full tut on this final change. With your permission I'd like to use this image as one of the examples.

Regards,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger4.jpg (96.3 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM

thanks for that info. I'll give it a try. Is it possible there is some flare around the ears where I used the mask? Or is the image under the mask protected 100%?

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Michael, yes the tweak looks good. What did you do? I would be very happy for you to use this image in a fill tut.
Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
Michael, yes the tweak looks good. What did you do? I would be very happy for you to use this image in a fill tut.
Mark
Hi Mark,

I did four quick things; two Channel Blends and two Sharpening moves.

First Channel Blend; converted to LAB, used Apply Image to blend the A channel into the L using Overlay mode. This darkened the grass and lightened the tiger. This change in contrast is meant to focus attention on the subject just as the dof does.

Second Channel Blend; duped the BG layer, changed its blend mode to Overlay, added layer mask of blurred L channel inverted. This gave a very subtle color boost overall.

Cmd Opt Shft/Ctrl Alt Shft E to copy everything to a new layer then applied the sharpening to this layer.

First Sharpening move; Cmd/Ctrl 1 to select the L channel, Cmd/Ctrl clicked the L channel's icon to create a selection, inverted selection, ran USM at 200, 1, 0. Deselect all. This added snap to the darker tones.

Second Sharpening move; still with the L channel active, ran USM at 50, 40, 10. This is called Hiraloam, which stands for High Radius Low Amount. It gives more of a contrast boost than traditional sharpening and generally added shape to the tiger.

I've kept things rather terse here but will go into much more detail when I create the tutorial.

Thanks for letting me use your picture.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM

You're welcome. Please let me know when you have completed it
Regards
Mark
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help