RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help removing glasses

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM

Smile Need help removing glasses

Greetings;
New forum member here with a plea for help. Over the last weekend, my wife and I went to a book signing in Portsmouth NH where my wife got to meet one of her favorite Golden Girls stars I can't tell you how excited she was, she grew up (on reruns ) on the show with her mother and sister.

In the 20-30 seconds I had to take a picture and the line waiting, I managed to get a nice picture of Rue M. and my wife. The problem is her glasses slipped down.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I'd like to possibly remove her glasses. I tried removing her glasses myself and did 'ok' until I got to the side of her face and her eyes. I'm by no means an expert and usually can do fine w/ small edits, but this one seems a bit big for me. Her eyes looked 'very dead' when I finished the right one and that is when I decided to look for help.

Any help appreciated. If possible, please keep the same size and quality as I would like to surprise her and print this out for framing
Since the image is 1.3mb I uploaded to my website
http://home.comcast.net/~sberube/photohelp.jpg
Update: Added eyes for possible image manipulation
http://home.comcast.net/~sberube/eyes.jpg
- Steve

Last edited by sberube; 07-19-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Patron

Re: Need help removing glasses

Delightful photo! I myself wouldn't try to edit out the glasses. Their slip is part of the moment. And if your wife had them on for that occasion, chances are she wouldn't look like herself without them.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 PM

You are probably right The more I look at it, it really doesn't look that bad and goes w/ the moment.

As an alternative to removing them, I thought I'd try to raise them up a bit.

I had (luckily) taken another picture that includes her full eyes and glasses.

http://home.comcast.net/~sberube/eyes.jpg

If raising the glasses can be done, hopefully that image will help. I'm going to try this in the morning (entering new territory here, never did anything like that before)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 PM

Interesting task. No glasses and glasses raised. This was fun to do.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No_glasses.jpg (184.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Glasses_Raised.jpg (185.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pic_comp_web.jpg (185.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 07-20-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 AM

glasses, no glasses or half glasses no difference ...nice face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photohelp_chill1.jpg (187.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg photohelp_glass_chill1.jpg (188.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 AM

Ok for chillin and dcobb, I take it the eyes.jpg really helped with this one? Any tips on how you performed your magic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM

First, duplicate your image. I mainly used the clone tool and healing brush on the original picture. However, the glasses cut right through the eyes. To correct the eye problem I borrowed the eyes from one of the other pictures and blended everything in. You can roughly select the eyes and cut and paste them to the new image. The eyes are now on separate layers. To position them lower the opacity of the eye layer and if need be use CTRL + T to activate the transform tool. You can also use CTRL + H to hide the lines while you position the eyes. Raise the opacity back to 100%. Remember to press enter to accept the transform or you won't be able to do anything else while the transform tool is active. Add a layer mask and you can refine the area around the eye by painting with black and white. Once you are happy with the placement merge the eye layer down so you can use the clone tool and healing brush. At this point you have your picture without glasses.

For glasses go back to your original picture and make a rough selection about the glasses and copy them to a new layer. The background should be transparent. I simply used the eraser tool to remove everything around the glasses. Remember, if you save the glasses do so using a PSD file--TIFF also works, I think, as long as it preserves the transparency. Now you have a pair of glasses. Just paste those on the picture without glasses and use the transform tool to adjust the angle--if necessary.

There may be a better and easier way to do this. I don't know how Chillin achieved the results.

dc
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help