RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Perspective

Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Perspective

This photo was committed by another one of my relations let loose with a Brownie box camera in about 1919 . It's a raw scan, tape and all. I plan to crop it. It's not an "important" picture (or even a very good picture) but I want to learn from it.

My question is this: What kind of distortion is this? The house appears to be falling over. If I correct the perspective on the house the rest of the picture goes whacko. I can cut the photo into two pieces - house in one, fence and dad in the other - and correct them individually and put them back together. Am I looking at barrel or vignette? Please instruct me

Cheers,
MJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Box.jpg (97.0 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Re: Perspective

Wow! amazing photo. I have no idea how the house is distorted like that, definitely not barrel/pincushion... maybe the house has moved while the shutter has been closing Or perhaps the film hasn't been straight in the camera.

I'd make 2 layers from the photo, mask out sky and house from top layer, and then rotate and maybe distort the bottom layer so that the house is straight. With distort I mean transform - distort.

Last edited by rovis; 07-23-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added intructions
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Made a selection along the top of the fence to include all above it in the photo. Put that on its own layer. I used Photoshop CS2's Distort - lens correction.Moved the angle dial clockwise till it looked right and set the scale for edege extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (80.1 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM

By my calculations (see pic) the house was really falling over - which may explain why someone took the unremarkable pic in the first place.

[Warning geometric mumbo-jumbo follows]
- The effect of perspective is that parallel horizontal lines will (seem to) converge to a point on the horizon.
- The crossing of the Green lines defines two points on the horizon. As these points are at the same level (given the tolerances of the photo) the horizon (Red line) is horizontal (duh!) so the photo was taken with the camera levelled.
- The Blue lines show that, as they converge to the same point, the side of the house is still horizontal and parallel to the fence.
- As the Yellow lines cross the horizon without converging, we must conclude that the front of the house is not horizontal - or, in other words, it's falling over!
[end mumbo-jumbo]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perspective-byRo.jpg (99.4 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Rovis - Thanks for the suggestion. I've never, ever seen a photo like this one

Swampy - Your fix is so perfect! Genius! I didn't even try adjusting the angle. Next time I'll know to try that.

byRo - You made me laugh out loud. The little boy in the picture is my dad and he grew up to be a mathematical genius and an engineer. He probably pointed out the remarkable house to his grandma who hot footed it outside with the Brownie box camera to record the event for posterity

I really love this forum. No matter how bizarre the question I get a really good answer. Thanks!!

MJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post
- The effect of perspective is that parallel horizontal lines will (seem to) converge to a point on the horizon.
- The crossing of the Green lines defines two points on the horizon. As these points are at the same level (given the tolerances of the photo) the horizon (Red line) is horizontal (duh!) so the photo was taken with the camera levelled.
- The Blue lines show that, as they converge to the same point, the side of the house is still horizontal and parallel to the fence.
- As the Yellow lines cross the horizon without converging, we must conclude that the front of the house is not horizontal - or, in other words, it's falling over!
[end mumbo-jumbo]

[/FONT]
thanks for the great explanation, maybe you could do a tutorial on perspective when you get some free time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Ro, great explanation! But isn't it wonderful that you can fix that house in Photoshop? LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 AM

Selected house above fence and put it on a new layer. Cloned out old house and placed this new layer above it. Got it the way I wanted using Transform and then cloned in the fence etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Box-a.jpg (98.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 05:02 AM

Hi charlene,

I used the perspective tool in photoshop, lost a bit of the house in the process, but I am assuming the image was about the little boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-copy.jpg (68.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM

I think the fence isn’t straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Box_chill1.jpg (188.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help