RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Neutralize warm skin

Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Re: Neutralize warm skin

This looked interesting, using the original mainly mucked around with the midranges of each channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original_yellowskin copy.jpg (86.2 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM

I think it should be warm to match the light...the balance of yellow to red is not that off for low light... I believe you have added too much cyan.

But i gave it a try at what I think you are looking for.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowskin_2.jpg (94.9 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM

Looks like everyone is ending up where I did. Attached is an example of what I would consider to be a more neutral skin tone (for those who've asked). I'm hoping to end up with a skin tone closer to this than what I presently have. My knowledge of photoshop beyond the basics is limited and everything I've tried leaves me with less that realistic looking skin tones.
For what it's worth the light on the subject is from a flash, gelled to mimic very warm light. Essentially I'm trying to neutralize the colored gel and the redness in his skin.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neutral.jpg (92.8 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Are you saying that you want the skin color to look very white, like that on the child? Although that could be done, it isn't going to look right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Patron

ChrisC -

The example you've given us isn't a natural skin tone. It's a baby with a strong cyan cast. If that's the effect you're after for artistic purposes, that's fine. If you're just trying to correct for the gel color cast and get normal looking caucasian skin, aim for (roughly) yellow a little higher than magenta, with cyan between 1/5 and 1/3 the magenta value. Dave's correction did that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM

Hi Dave,

I'd like it to look a lot less warm and more "natural" (which obviously is subjective). I'm looking for the skin tone of someone who's skin hasn't been aged by the sun and isn't lit by a warm light . The baby is an example of what I consider a neutral skin tone. So I guess I'm trying to achieve the adult version of that. Maybe the photo is too warm and it's not possible to neutralize the cast in a believable way.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Hi Lurch,

Maybe it's the difference in monitors but it doesn't look cyan to me. Cool, maybe, but it's window light on a cloudy day. Dave's looks very red on my monitor.
I tried your suggestion regarding CMYK percentages - I went from 15, 31, 45 0 to 7 34 38 0. This made the image even redder. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:51 PM

Here's the new attempt. Looks red to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowskin_lurch.jpg (97.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 PM

2nd try.
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowskin-2ndtry.jpg100k.jpg (99.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Patron

Chris -

When judging skin tones I rely on the numbers first, then how it looks on the monitor. (And try to remember to keep the monitor calibrated . . . ) The baby's cheek measured cyan as high as magenta - way higher than it should be - almost gray. Cloudy day light is quite cool.

Measured in the center of the guy's forehead, Dave's numbers were spot on - 11C 33M 35Y 0K. Maybe they look red to you in comparison with the too-neutral baby. But skin is red.

Your new attempt seems more too magenta than too red to me. The forehead measures 14C 36M 38Y 0K. I myself would aim for a lower magenta and if possible a lower cyan (however less cyan means more red, so it's a tradeoff).

It may be that you need to make a selective adjustment for the skin to keep from screwing up the rest of the color balance. (Dave, did you do that, or just do global moves?) This evening I'll take a shot at your original, Chris, and put my money where my mouth is.

BTW, what color was the t-shirt?

Last edited by lurch; 08-31-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help