RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Neutralize warm skin

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Patron

Re: Neutralize warm skin

Chris - as promised -

A simple curves adjustment layer to set light point, black point, and neutral got the skin tones in the ball park. I assumed the t-shirt was black, or at least neutral (knowing what happens to black t-shirts after a few washings). Darkest point was in the back of the shirt; lightest (not white!) on the guy's cheekbone. Once those points were set on the curves, I sampled the face mid-forehead and tweaked the curves to get numbers and image that looked ok. The image was still somewhat darker than I think(?) you want, so I added another curves adjustment layer set to luminosity and pulled the 3/4-tone to lighten. In the end result the forehead measured 8C 31M 45Y 0K, well within the range one might expect for a healthy caucasian adult.

Does this work for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lurch_yellowskin.jpg (99.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Hi Lurch. You are spot on with your explanation I didn't take time to go into detail, but what you posted is exactly correct. First, you should always rely on the numbers that can be found in the information pallet, as many thing can throw the perception of color. Second, you should always keep your monitor properly calibrated, as not only do monitors vary between make and model, but even the same make and model will have a wide variation. Also the age of the monitor can have an affect on the colors that it can display. That is why I calibrate my monitor often. It is critical that your monitor be calibrated to see the correct colors. Some artists will even paint their room a neutral gray, to keep the other colors from changing the perception of true colors.

Also, in the color adjustment that I made, I applied the adjustment to only the face. To do this I made a selection of the area, and then added an adjustment layer. This way my adjustment were only applied to the selected area, leaving the rest of the photo untouched.

One other comment, Skin that is natural and healthy looking on an adult, and that on a baby are two different things. Even a youthful women such as seen in model shoots does not look like that of a baby. If you make the adult's skin look like that of a baby, he will appear to be very pale, almost like a ghost. A Caucasian adult's skin does have a lot of red in it. In the outdoors scene that you have, a rugged look outdoorsy look fits right in. So unless you are going for a Halloween look, I would think that the pale baby skin probably isn't the best look. But that is just my humble opinion. Don't let me stop any creative ideas that you may wish to explore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Patron

Thanks, Dave. Good elaboration on the points I was trying to make.

For Chris' benefit - in my correction from yesterday evening I limited myself to simple global moves and a quick fix. In doing so, I allowed some 'defects' to persist. Would have liked to bring the yellow in the skin down more but that interfered with the shirt's neutrality. As a result the subject may look more tanned than you like. My approach also limited definition in the sky. I would have liked whiter clouds and more contrast.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Chris C, I did a colour match on the baby pic and face of the recipient, not a good look at all, he looked part gothic, part cyanotic, part dead, even the twilight zone would lend a bit more colour
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Another version

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1294239348_a59a3bc89f_o.jpg (90.6 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Nice outcome with the face, but could you low down the blurred grass in the background. Maybe if you use some masking would help. Great work Daviskw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 PM

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out with this image . Let's assume that all of the examples are correct when judging skin tone by the numbers. What I'm trying to achieve is a cooler more neutral image. An image closer to "cyan baby" than the original image I posted. I'm not trying to match the baby - the baby picture is only an example of, to my eye, what I consider a fairly neutral skin tone. Obviously color is subjective. What's pleasing to one person isn't to another. I'm trying to remove the yellow/warmth that was added to the skin by the gelled light. When I use curves to correct the image I get weird color patches in the transition areas between light and dark. Using Hue/Sat to desaturate the yellows and reds leaves me with a image that looks like a colorized BW photo. Is it technically possible to do this?

Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2007, 07:22 AM

I used the match color under adjustments checked the neutralize box. selected the red channel copied and pasted and set blending mode to luminosity reduced to about 70 percent came up with this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowskinweb.jpg (99.1 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM

this guy has a rugged look, so can't sport more temperate colours without looking spooky, he really needs the ruddiness in my opinion
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Patron

Chris,
Quote:
Is it technically possible to do this?
Certainly. In spite of the communal attempt to talk you out of it, it's your image and your taste, and if that's what you want here's one way to do it. For convenience I started with a copy of your original and with the variation I did on Friday.

Using the original I made a copy of the red channel and adjusted it with a curve to greatly increase the contrast. Made the clouds gray and the face highlights blown out with some detail left in the skin shadows; rest of the image dark gray or black. This will be the layer mask in the next step.

Moving to my Friday version, I added a selective color adjustment layer and clicked ok without doing anything else. Then used Image>Apply image to load the doctored channel from the original into the layer mask that was automatically created for the selective color layer. Double-clicking the selective color icon re-opens that dialog box. I selected red from the drop-down list of colors, made sure the method selected was Absolute, and adjusted the sliders as follows: cyan +59, magenta +10, yellow -29, black 0 (you can play with those values and find what pleases you). That's all there is to it. The layer mask limits your skin tone modifications to the areas where it's light or white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghoulish.jpg (99.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help