RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with a Sundamaged scene, discolored little boy

Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Red face Help with a Sundamaged scene, discolored little boy

Hello forum, I'm new, I had no idea there was a site like this. I trolled for only 2 days before starting this post. I've been trying to color correct this photo and even after finding some tutorials about similar problems, I am having a hard time getting this kid's skin color correct or at least closer to natural. I'm a Graphic Designer who' uses the CS3 suite regularly but photo-retouching is fairly confusing to me: Blank Layers, Unsharp Masks, Gaussian Blurs, what?!

A family friend approached me with the request to restore this photo, and after spending a solid 5 hours with very little results, I realize I need an expert's help. (The story behind the pic: apparently her son had Multiple Schlerosis and was bound to this wheel chair, less than a month after this picture was taken he suffered a stroke and has never been as lucid. He's in his thirties now, so I guess this pic is about 20 years old.)

If any of you Photoshop Gods would like to try their hand at this, please do! Also guys, my original file is 25 inches wide at 300dpi (way too big to post at orig size) so I'd really love for you to let me know the steps you took to achieve your results so that I can duplicate them with the larger image. I plan on printing this for the boy's mother at 13x19 inches on my Epson R1800.

Photoshop. I read some complaint posts about trollers like me just wanting to "use" the forum without appreciation, so I dunno if this is cool or not BUT if one of you experts can help me and walk me thru some techniques on improving this image, I'd like to send you a custom print of any image you want at 13x19 on SemiGloss Professional Ink Jet paper. Like I posted earlier, I own an R1800 that produces amazing prints and I thought it might be a good "thank you" for anyone that has an image they want printed but no access to a pro-quality printer. After I get some of your sage advice, email me your image and an address to send it to and I promise I will send it ASAP. Anyone can email me at "ian.iorio @ gmail.com". I am printing only one print for one person, whoever ends up being the most understandable tutor with the best results.

Thanks so much for reading, thanks so much MORE for helping!
Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scene.jpg (68.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg scene_edit.jpg (77.4 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 PM

Re: Help with a Sundamaged scene, discolored little boy

not perfect didnt take much time used adjustment layers to even out the border some painted on new layer set to color blending mode. selected highlights copied to new layer set to multiply (used 2 layers) came up with this, hope you like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sundamaged-scene.jpg (99.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM

I would say that what you have done so far is pretty good. I would mask out the border, so your adjustments don't throw off the edges so much. From what I can see, the reason that you are having so much trouble finding the colors in the child's face is, there isn't much color information left. If you put a marquee around just the face and add a levels adjustment layer, you can look at the histogram for just the face. You will notice, it is in an extremely small area. Sometimes what is needed for something like this, is to just recolor the area. A good place to start would be to sample the color on the other child's face with the eyedropper tool, so that your foreground color is set to that color. Select the other child's face and add a hue/saturation layer and click the colorize button. This will colorize the face, starting with the selected foreground color.

If I had a better quality image, I might be able to help you more. If you don't have a place where you can post it, PM me and I can provide a place for you to put it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM

I've uploaded a huge image for you guys to mess with if they'd like. It can be found at http://www.williams-england.com/grap...prints/db2.jpg

The file i started editing can be found at http://www.williams-england.com/grap...rints/db2a.jpg

Dave.Cox, I haven't had a chance to try out your suggestion, but I will be trying it out soon, I will keep you updated. It sounds pretty solid, thanks.

Unimatrix, what did you mean by "selected highlights copied to new layer"? How did you select the highlights? Would it be helpful to select the highlights, isolate them on a new layer, and edit them before merging it back with the original?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Patron

I took a look at the image you had already started on and took screenshots as I worked to give you a visual step by step (I'm not that great at explaining things in type heh). The image detail in the boy's face is very washed out but I feel that your full resolution version may have enough detail there still. I cropped away the edges so they wouldn't throw off my adjustments...your main concern was skin tone anyway. I duplicated the image layer, changed the blending mode on the duplicate layer to multiply and adjusted the opacity of this layer to my liking. I did some levels adjustments...mostly setting a neutral grey point (I used the chair wheel as my sample) to try to get the colour a little more even all round. I ended up with a slight magenta shift, further levels tweaking didn't improve it any without mucking up my skin tones alot, so I added a green photo filter adjustment layer at about 10-15% made a difference to the magenta shift and I masked out the photo filter's effect on the boy's skin on that adjustment layer's mask. You should get a much nicer slightly more vibrant colour result than I have here... saving images for web does trash the colour a bit. I hope I given you some useful ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multiply_blend_layer.jpg (95.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg lvlstweak.jpg (94.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg levels.jpg (74.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photofilter.jpg (94.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg final.jpg (93.8 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 AM

If you are using photoshop go to the channels pallet and control click (for pc) or command click (for mac) on the rgb layer this selects the highlights. switch back to the layers pallet and control/command J to copy the selected area to a new layer change blending modes to suit your taste. if not dark enough duplicate until satisfied if to dark play with the opacity of the different layers till satisfied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 AM

I chose the brownish color for what appear to be logs to me. I see most of the other posts have used red. Just not sure what some of the other colors are.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two_children.jpg (163.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM

my understanding is that yellow inks go off long before others, might explain the red tones in the outer frame, I also get a more brown/orange cast from the logs
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 AM

Great job everybody!

Marcus,

first of all, welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

Dave and Littlecoo gave you very good tips for restoring this image... but I pressed the 'easy button' ... meaning, instead of sweating blood trying to match the two parts of the picture, (fairly 'normal' border and incredibly faded center), I started by cropping the image along the lines of the frame since, IMO, the center part is what the parents of this poor boy wish to look at and remember... (actually I cropped according to the printing size you posted 13x19, so, something had to be sacrificed).

For the restoration I even threw the kitchen sin in .... but I'll gladly post a detailed explanation if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_db2b.jpg (199.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM

Smile Re: Help with a Sundamaged scene, discolored little boy

Oh MY, FLORA! Amazing work as usual, is it just you or can I get oe of those "easy buttons" ? If you don't mind, please post in exhausting detail an explanation of your methods of retrieving the color once lost in this picture. I am particularly interested because none of the other Photoshoppers found a "red stripe" next to the "blue "stripes" in the boy's costume.

I'm running out of the door right now, late for work, but I can't wait to start working on this photo again tonight. the patrons of this site (especially you, Flora) have renewed my hopes of bringing the Life back to this photo. I will post my results soon!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help